Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger

Monel Hardware

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by dainisk, Mar 19, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dainisk

dainisk Member

My marlin board (swim platform) has it's support strutts attached by through hull bolts in three places, all under the water line. However, the bolts suffer from what I understand to be crevice corrosion and I need to replace them almost every year.
    A suggestion was made that I should use bolts made from Monel, silicon bronze or even nylon. However, I have not been able to source these locally or on-line. I live in Australia, but would be happy to buy them from anywhere. Does anyone know a good source?
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Google: Jamestown Distributors. They're in Rhode Island, USA. I have had good experiences with them in available selection of fasteners, price and customer service.
  3. about time

about time Member

Have you bonded the bolts to your bonding system? If bonded and sealed properly you should not have an issue with a fiberglass hull.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Crevice corrosion has nothing to do with bonding or hull type.
  5. about time

about time Member

So crevice corrosion is not more common in a wooden hull? And crevice corrosion is not due to moisture around the fastener? I am hoping for an education here.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm not expert on this, but I believe it has to do with the swim platform supports vibrating on the bolts and wearing into them and corrossion getting between the two parts.
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

8. about time

about time Member

so according to wiki, there is an electrolyte (moisture) involved, that allows for the transfer of electrons from one material to the other (pretty much the definition of MOST corrosion) for the transfer of electrons to occur there must be a potential, the purpose of a bonding system is to redirect that potential to a sacrificial anode. I must be missing something.
  9. dainisk

dainisk Member

Yes, this is nothing to do with galvanic action - bonding. Steve D'Antonio had an excellent article on this matter in the September 2013 issue of Passagemaker. Hopefully with no infringement of copyright, I've scanned one page in the image below.

Attached Files:

10. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

What it has to do with is proper bedding of the bolts.
  11. about time

about time Member

always use and maintain cathodic protection
  12. about time

about time Member

or you can use a monel or bronze swim platform support, in addition to the fasteners