Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Furuno

Modulators

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by boatpoor, Jan 20, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

Can anyone think of a good reason not to back off the fuel modulators on a pair of 6v92s other than Al Gore says we need them?Nobody runs the boat but me and I don't shove the fuel levers forward unless there is an emergency. I'm doing a tune up and wondering why I need something else to cause problems later.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have heard of one modulator messing up in my life. It's failure went back to an owner trying to improve over factory adjustments.
    I assume with enough slobber or grunge, one could mess up. It's still a very simple and reliable part of the engine.

When working properly they offer the best pick-up-& go. Balancing the air charge vs the fuel delivered to the lungs.
    The factory adjustment offers the best / conservative adjustment. Backing off to much will produce black smoke even when you think your slow on the throttles.
    The racks always want to open, the governor, throttle delays and modulators just slow that action down.

Open up this adjustment will load the turbo vanes with soot & trash tour transom. Damage to the engine may happen from to much fuel in the cylinders washing the rings.
    If your running well now and making WOT, I recommend leaving them alone.