Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Delta Click for Abeking

Mirabella V is on the Rocks

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Yachtguymke, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Just logged onto www.ibinews.com for my daily dose of marine news and saw that Mirabella V is on the rocks after dragging anchor in Force 6-7 Winds off the coast of the French Riviera. What a shame. How would you like to be the charter guests on that yacht?
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Attached Files:

3. kutkota

kutkota New Member

I know very little about yachts and what it takes to command one, but it sounds like this is alittle bit of error on the captians decisions or anchor pattern or what ever you would call it in yachting terms. who is to blame for something like this.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Without knowing what really happened, there is a marked anchoring area just outside of where she ended up. There it is 45 meter, but just inside it is only 15 meters and then 6 or less about 200 m from the shoreline.
    Without anchorwatch by radar or sounder it can go fast if the anchor is sliding on the sandy bottom.
    I am only glad it wasn´t me... :(
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Here is how the anchors look like on Mirabella V. Made out of welded steel plates, not a cast, and hand polished to perfection. Beyond that, I have no idea of weight and strength, but at least they look as impressive as anything on Mirabella V.

Attached Files:

6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

On the Riviera Radio news they said at lunchtime today, (if I got it right) that they are now checking for damage before a salvage tug will try to get her out on deeper waters. She has apparently bounced over some rocks which made more noise than damage. Let´s still hope for the best!
  7. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I think those anchors would look great on the bow of my 42' Post :eek:

I'd hate to be the guy who had to make the call to Joe Vittoria with the bad news.

Joe Vittoria is from here in Greenwich CT. I had the pleasure of being invited for a few cocktails one evening (crew party) aboard one of his earlier sailing yachts.
  8. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I have pulled many a grounded sailboat (though not nearly as large as Mirabella) off the bottom by using the sailboats haliard (sp?) and pulling the boat from the top of the mast. As the sailboat leans over, the keel rises & their free.
    Would this be possible with a yacht of this size or would the tug just snap the mast?
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

As I have understood the situation, the yacht has bounced across some rocks and they have now divers to find the best way out again...
    Your idea is good but not if the centreboard is down, then they might damage both that and the mast! But it seems that they know what they are doing now, and the weather has improved.
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

11. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

An interior picture of Mirabella V -

Attached Files:

12. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I just spoke with one of Joe Vittoria's friends from here in town.
    He spoke with Joe on Saturday PM.
    Joe said Mirabella was towed off the reef by an ocean going tug on Saturday.
    The main damage was to the hydraulic keel. Lines ruptured upon grounding. One of the rudders were damaged as well.
    Mirabella left under it's own power & is scheduled to be hauled today or tomorrow.