Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn

Mid size Viking comparison

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by Griz, Feb 22, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Griz

Griz New Member

Hello from Hawaii,
    We are looking for another boat to expand our charter fishing business. Would anyone care to throw in their 2 cents (or more) about the 1980-90 41, 45 and 48 Viking sportfishers. We don't have any "run" so speed isn't real important. Mainly stability and comfort for our inexperienced anglers (many have never even seen the ocean, let alone fished). But 1st and foremost, are they dry boats? We fish in some nasty stuff and being wet all day is not in high on my list. Looking through plastic all day isn't a solution. I'd really like a dry bridge at 7-10 kts. in a 20-25 kt. breeze and a moderate chop.

Any good viking brokers? Or ones to stay away from?

Aloha,
    Jesse
  2. jimbo62

jimbo62 New Member

Viking - mid size

I went through the process last year of searching out and purchasing a mid-size viking, ulitmately settling on the 45'.
    the 48' cockpit is larger, but it is a harder riding, wetter boat than the 45' - it just pounds more. I selected the 45' because it was a better ride and gave us a good sized cockpit, and a well laid out interior with a good turn of speed.
    as far as powerplant, we focused on 6v-92's and not the 71 series (more power, better resale). the 48' runs 8v-92's. these engines have reputations for leaking oil, but it is very minor if it is serviced well - and thats the upside, parts and knowledgeable labor are plentiful for the detroits.

these are not light boats (my 45' is about 44,000 pounds) but with that coupled with the shape of the hull will allow it to run a head sea and a following sea equally well.

good luck with your search.

Jimbo