Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay

Miami Boat Show/ Sea Trails

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by jserb, Jan 10, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jserb

jserb New Member

Hey all! I have a feeling I am going to get quite an ear full on this post. Lets see if this can be taken seriously.
    Heading down to Miami for the boat show this year. I have been several years and thought this year I would turn to all of you to see if anyone has a tip to the biggest challenge the 99% face at the show: "how can I get a ride on one of these boats/yachts?" Now, coming from a well educated upbringing/background, I truly understand the implications of my "simple" request. (too often i think some people feel its a simple request to get aboard a yacht with little to no implications). The liability, security, ownership privacy, and the cost of fuel my big body will consume, are all reasons someone would not want me to just “hop” on their boat. Growing up as a boater since I was a little tyke, I truly understand the personal relationship one has with their vessels (much like inviting someone into their home). With all this said im looking to speak to someone in a position to make these kinds of decisions.
    I will be down in Miami Friday- Monday, the thought is Monday the boats will be moving due to the end of the show(most yachts north i would assume) to Ft Lauderdale. My goal is to try and get a ride on a pershing, azimut, sunseeker, or viking. Asking to see if anyone has any ideas; tips, tricks on hitching a ride on one. Do I even have a shot? I'll go where the boat is going, even willing to pay or "tip" $500.00 for my "trip", just the experience of cursing up the south of Miami on one of these million dollar vessels would be worth the cost. - what do you say, is it worth a shot or offensive?
    (all kidding aside) The hope is to one day purchase one of these brands, however a sea trail on an Azimut would really help my decision making.

Sea Trial: do they do sea trails at the Miami show? if so, how do you get on the list (yes please reserve your smart comments of "plopping down a $1,000,000.00", - that’s the obvious statement, unfortunately am not quite at this point. I am wondering if I show that I am a serious buyer, but not for another 10 yrs, do i have a shot at a sea trial?

Let me know your thoughts ill be sure to keep the tissue handy….
    :cool:
  2. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

Although we were not looking at that level of boats, prior to purchasing we were able to get out on the last boat on our list that we hadn't been underway on (a formula 40pc) by working through the salesperson that we had been speaking with near our home port. Thankfully it reaffirmed our choice in Tiara.

I would think if you are not a serious buyer in the very near future or don't "know" someone going for a boat ride may prove to be rather difficult.

YMMV

max
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

Hardly.

"...the thought is Monday the boats will be moving due to the end of the show ...any ideas; tips, tricks on hitching a ride" Breaking down a boat show is not play time. It's a time that I wouldn't even want to talk to you. $500 dollars would not get my attention... under the circumstances you propose, I believe it would be unethical to accept it and allow you onboard without appropriate authorization. Besides, I just want to get the boat to where it needs to go, not run a bootleg charter service.

"...do they do sea trails at the Miami show? if so, how do you get on the list... I am a serious buyer, but not for another 10 yrs..." What do you do for a living? How about you commit the better part of a day and a couple thousand bucks so you can show me? I'll get back to you in about ten years.

This is why sea trials typically come after an accepted offer and deposit.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  4. Mark Woglom

Mark Woglom Senior Member

Live in Gilford NH. Boat in Sarasota winters, New
    I'll give you a different perspective. If you "act" as a buyer, I don't think you'll have a good shot as getting a boat ride. 10 years down the road is too far down the road to generate a salesperson's interest, and you'll seem like a waste of time.

That said, you sound sincere. In my opinion, sincerity has value, and somebody will appreciate that sincerity. I'll bet, if you genuinely explain your interest, and you're willing to be a helpful participant, you'll get a ride on a nice boat. It might take a lot of time at the docks being "sincere", and it might take some rejection ... but, I'd bet you could get a boat ride.

Based upon your post, if I were in charge of a boat, I'd happily let you tag along. If you showed up slobbering beer off your chin ... not so much.

Good luck.
  5. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Sea Trial

I agree with Mark regarding the sincerety angle, however do not try the expression "Sea Trial" as this is not what you are doing.
    There is nothing wrong with asking for a ride in return for a PAYMENT. I doubt $500 will get you off the dock, so ask what will, that is IF you are sincere?:rolleyes:
    Anyone in business or sales is used to insincere bull ****ers wasting time & money, deposit or not.
    Be upfront. Pay a fee that is fair and no one loses.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

At the Miami Show they do do seatrials at the Omni hotel location. Cummins Mercruiser Diesel among others do seatrials with or for just about anyone. Many other manufacturers will also, but they tend to be 50' boats and smaller........ How old are you?

I too would be honest, somebody on here might give you a yacht ride, maybe even me......LOLOL
  7. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Start walking the docks with a couple of bikini dawning specimens and a couple of hooks of rum. You'll find a ride in no time.