Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for CL Yachts Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn

Miami boat show cancelled

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by Pascal, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

I'll rephrase that comment to "appeared somewhat pleased because you told us so." Their boat show business would probably not survive if shutdown for a year or two. They get several times a year to make their living and are willing to risk their money to have a boat show. Not to mention all the businesses involved in the boating industry that need the exposure. Most I've seen lately have accepted wearing a mask and distancing where necessary including me. I say give them a chance.
  2. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

NYCAP123, if we do not agree with you it becomes political BS. Nothing I said was political.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

No. It's been mired in political BS for far too long, and that has cost lives. I'm celebrating that coming to an end.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

As to FLIBS going poorly. It was nothing more than an attempt by promoters to be able to keep money paid for show fees. It could not be an international show as foreign builders and foreign buyers were not coming. So it is what it is. A very costly show of mostly small boats with heavy emphasis on center consoles, a domestic not international show. I'd estimate in number of boats near 40% of normal, but in total length of boats, more like 20%. Attendees, they are targeting 33% of norm but more likely to be around 20%. To my knowledge not any 100'+ new boats. So, is it worth it? To the promoters apparent it is. But their relationship with builders and brokers may be damaged in the meanwhile or they may not be held accountable. Only time will tell. While all other major shows were cancelling, they chose to go on. Either that is incredible determination or it is foolhardiness. The promoters made the decision best for their business in the short run. Then they came up with the best plan they could. However, it had no chance of being a good show or an international show. They knew that along the way and chose to accept it. I don't fault their choice as maybe their promotion business depended on it. Just let's not be misled by their publicity into thinking this could be anything like a normal FLIBS.
  5. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Sounds like an alternative way to describe an unprofessional and shortsighted attempt.
  6. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I find it very odd that there seems to be very few cases coming out of China, one can believe that info is being suppressed due to the CCP edicts but, in a Country with such a massive population it does seem a bit odd. Conspiracy theory would suggest that there were perhaps two different virus on the scene, one which would self extinguish and the other requiring serious intervention and vaccine which infected other Countries, something to ponder, as far as irresponsible spreading of the virus goes, I doubt the marine industry takes too much blame, in fact it tries to help the economy by creating business, job's and tax revenue etc..there are those who just do not give a **** and act irresponsibly witness spring break and so on. Many of those who are supported through Government programs sit at home or work for cash while many businesses struggle to find employees and thus help the economy proving again that the when the going gets tough the tough get going.
    Any, that's my 2c.
  7. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

People, please keep this thread on the subject of boats shows, specifically the Miami show, and perhaps how other shows decisions may or may not be affecting it.

Not:
    -blaming one political party over another
    -blaming one country or another
    -conspiracy theories
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

2 versions of the virus is a bit far fetched. More likely their numbers are because when the CCP gives an edict such as no large gatherings it's followed or else, and the Chinese are religious about wearing masks. But would they under-report the numbers? Of course. No surprise. None of which has any relevance to the rest of the world's fight against the pandemic. Where the marine industries gets blame is for failing to set an example or its members failing to use their influence. See many boaters wearing masks around the marinas or at raft-ups? We've been too busy crying about being inconvenienced. But that's all in the past. What can we do to make sure the boat shows can happen in 2021?
  9. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

ob, you always have a solid response with your knowledge of the boating industry stats. I don't think many thought this was going to be doorbuster event, especially with the international crowd. It would have been good to have most of the US builders lined up at the docks. The promoters definitely took a chance to do the show knowing the situation, maybe it will turn out ok for them. Wow, just checked the availability at the Riverside Hotel...far from normal.
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i ve been trying to stay out of this discussion but while agree on your nr 1 and nr 3, I really don’t see how China can not be blamed for this disaster... it s a fact that the virus originated from China.
  11. Alzira II

Alzira II Member

Anyone know how today went? This is obviously not the international show we are used to but would love to know how attendance was?
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What difference does it make? Would you blame every Chinese person for it? What does that have to do with the Miami Boat Show, any other show or boating? It only mattered in relation to politics, and that's over with now. You're beating a dead horse.
  13. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Attendance is less than 30% of normal. My estimate just based on observation is 15-20%.

Notes on other shows:

The NMMA announced:

The modified 2021 winter schedule is as follows:

Proceeding as scheduled:

• Progressive Insurance Atlantic City Boat Show — February 24–28, 2021, with the option to delay the show to early April 2021
    • Progressive Insurance Northwest Sportshow — March 25–28, 2021
    Postponed to a later date:

• Progressive Insurance New England Boat Show — we are working with the Boston Exhibition & Convention Center to obtain dates later in the first quarter or early in the second quarter
    Canceled for the winter of 2021 only:

• Progressive Insurance Atlanta Boat Show
    • Progressive Insurance Baltimore Boat Show
    • Progressive Insurance Chicago Boat Show
    • Progressive Insurance Louisville Boat, RV & Sportshow
    • Progressive Insurance Miami International Boat Show
    • Progressive Insurance Minneapolis Boat Show
    • Progressive Insurance Nashville Boat Show
    • Progressive Insurance New York Boat Show
    • Progressive Insurance St. Louis Boat & Sportshow
    Also:

In a strategic change to NMMA’s boat and sport show roster that is unrelated to the modified 2021 winter show schedule, an agreement was finalized this week to transfer ownership of the Kansas City Boat & Sportshow, Chicagoland Fishing, Travel & Outdoor Expo, World Fishing & Outdoor Expo, and Saltwater Fishing Expo to Sportshows LLC.
  14. Slimshady

Slimshady Active Member

I've been in more than one boardroom were one individual tries to out talk the whole group. They are always the smartest, most experienced person in their own mind. These people always lack in two ways.
    1) The ability to truly listen to others and consider their point of view.
    2) Knowing when to stop talking.
    I'm tired of nycap constantly shouting over everyone else.
    This forum has some of the most knowledgeable people in yachting giving out great information everyday for free. Can we please keep these discussions politics free and STOP shouting.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What you seem to lack is reading comprehension skills. Look here or in any other thread and you'll find that I never brought politics into the discussion. I did however not let the dog whistles go unchallenged.
  16. Alzira II

Alzira II Member

Please. Genuinely please.
  17. Alzira II

Alzira II Member

You were the third post. Neither capt j or olderboater mentioned anything political before you went on rant.
  18. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I thought we weren't going to get political. :D
  19. Hatterized

Hatterized Member

one thing i have learned from this thread, those who suffer from TDS are Covid experts, it is the self proclaimed Covid experts who determine what events full grown adults should attend, such as the FLIBS. :cool:

after much deliberation and knowing the Miami show is now canceled we will be attending the FLIBS with check book in pocket hoping a better deal(s) could present themselves considering dealers want inventory sold now (2020) knowing they have no Miami show to display boats to generate sales in (2021):)
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Is this what you consider making a political statement? "The Corona Virus is not political."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.