Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

Miami Boat Show 2015

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by Danvilletim, Feb 12, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

just got in!
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend the Miami Show, the first one I've missed in 15 years. For anyone who attended, it would be nice to get your opinion on show attendance, specifically along Collins Ave. Was it busy? And were there any new boats or yachts that caught your eye?
  3. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

My top 4 ( actually my wife's)
    • 85 horizon enclosed bridge
    • 78 jongert
    • 73 outer reef
    • 76 Hargrave
  4. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

It takes a real gentleman to confess that up. :)

I like the first 2 choices, maybe the 2nd even better than all. Just a personal opinion. Any still flicks?

Cheers
  5. Blue Ghost

Blue Ghost Member

The Regina systen in the Spinward Marches
    Image search .... perty :)
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

My friend Carl is there with his family. He sent some shots of the new Mercury 400hp Verado and went for a test too.

carl 1.jpg carl 2.jpg

Can you guess he's a racer?
  7. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

I thought attendance was on par with last year at both the Yacht & Brokerage show and MIBS. What has noteworthy was the predominance of new boats at the Y&B show, much fewer brokerage boats than last year. I guess that means that the economy [at least for those wealthy enough to spend a million bucks on a new boat] has really improved. On the other hand, the new boat display at Sea Isle was a shadow of its former self.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Wow 400HP Mercury verado's. Looks like they're really stepping up the outboard HP game. They haven't even had a 350HP.
  9. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

J, they just released the regular 350 too.

The old 350 was a race engine like the 400, with limited warranty.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  10. TeKeela

TeKeela Member

Don't forget Seven Marine at 557hp. Some of the coolest cowling paint jobs too.
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

They now have a 627 hp version as well....
  12. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

A Seven comes in at 500kg, a Verado 400 at 300kg. So that's a pair @ 800hp for 600kg and can be serviced at any dealer. I know where the smart money will go.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Or not so smart. I routinely see 38'-42' center consoles with 4-300hp outboards or 4-350hp outboards......so now they'll just put 4-400hp outboards to go 5 knots faster.....LOLOL
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Not only smart money, but I doubt dumb money would spend $75,000 for an outboard either. Heck, even $20,000 to $25,000 for an outboard from the big three is outrageous! You can buy an entire car for that kind of money! They're killing their own market, as well as an industry that adapted to their product.

As for finding service on Seven, at their prices they won't be around long enough to establish a good dealer network. You may see them hanging on transoms at boat shows, but I'd speculate they're subsidized for the exposure. On that note, they're not only pricing themselves out of the market, but out of media exposure too.

As Kevin O'Leary would say... Stop The Madness!
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The EPA has a lot to do with the cost of the outboards from the big 3. All of the testing, parts, and pieces on them in order for them to be lightweight yet still pass emissions probably adds $5k to the cost of them.

Some people will buy sevens and their limited production runs and stuff like the gearbox they need are what drive the price up on that too. But, how many $1million + center consoles do you see running around South Florida, they're everywhere and lots of people are buying them......So I guess a lot more people have more money than the brains we have. I wouldn't want to even pay the annual service bill on 4 or 5 big outboards every year.....
  16. NEO56

NEO56 Member

When the downturn comes around, they won't be able to find a buyer, and Hydra Sports unveiled a 53 foot center console at the Miami Show...sporting quadruple 7's with a price tag of over a million dollars! I don't get it.
  17. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

When a particular boat model does not strike a chord within, we tend to think it will crash on the market. Hell, I can't understand why you would want a pontoon "boat" but they just keep on selling.

Selling 140+ units of 42 Hydro Sports is enough to justify the business case for their new 53': http://www.boatingindustry.com/news...l-53-suenos-at-miami-international-boat-show/

As the outboard hp wars continue, you will see 60' production center consoles in the future, their customer base is already gearing up to see who will be the "big dog" on the water.
  18. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

An annual service on a Verado 300 comes in at around $1500/1800. Not too over the top.
  19. NEO56

NEO56 Member

It's not that it doesn't strike a chord with me...there isn't a stackable storage facility that I know of that will support a 53' CC, or even a fork lift that could lift the **** thing. So you either buy a Ford 650 or a Semi Tractor, then a custom trailer, and then a ramp that is long enough with a shallow enough ramp to back it down. OR you just keep it in the water in a slip somewhere or tied up behind your house. For a million plus dollars you can buy a SF with 2 or 3 staterooms. Granted, you won't run 60 mph+ but then again every boat is a trade off...Right?
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Not so sure about that.
    I'm having problems here in Jax FL,, limited and at best,, all sad service by any newer Merc product..
    It may not be proper to carry on in this thread, but please PM me for details if you're in the Jax Fl area. Maybe another thread "poor Merc Service in Jax " could pop up.
    We don't work on outboards. There is not a personal gripe here. Just years of customer stories in my ear. Newer Merc service in Jax S#$%%^s (is pretty poor).

Cummins/Zeus is thin also. Not to bash the Cummins shop, they know Cummins and Oh-No's but not Zeus..

,rc
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.