Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Mulder

Metal steering lines leaking

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Boomer, Nov 25, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Problem child here....was doing some clean up in the bilge under the stbd lazarette and found metal copper (?) Tubing leaking red fluid....the metal line looks like 1/8 tubing with flange ends going to the rudders...I am assuming it is the steering line...where do you get the 1/8 bendable line to run I assume from the bridge to the rudders with the flanges? Was getting dark and didnt have time to trace it back to the origin
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

How much fluid are you losing? Don't assume the copper line is breached. Go to the ends/connections and be sure the flange and trap nuts are not the issue. You might be getting a drip running down the line from a higher source

Wipe the line clean as you go from low to high. Spin the rudders from side to side also which may help to locate the source. That puts a little added pressure on the contained fluid.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  3. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Negative...it is coming from the line a foot from the rudders...squirts it you turn the wheel
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

You should be able to insert a short connection taking out the leaking area with new line and in- line flanges. Check all the line though for integrity so you'er not wasting effort
  5. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Soft copper tubing. Flare nuts and fittings.
    Here is a link to the tool.
    https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-23332...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000X4K9KO

I would imagine if you need to replace it you could find something plastic instead of copper, like a pex- like product.

But you could maybe find some good copper in the line, cut out the rotten copper and splice in a repair until you decide to replace it all.

Good luck
  6. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Agreed....need to find who carries line that small and has the flanges...
  7. chesapeake46

Ha, Beau, you beat me to it. !!
  8. chesapeake46

Plumbing supply, a real one.
    I don't recall if it comes in different grades like hard copper does but i believe you steering pressure is relatively low, like 20 to 40 lbs ?
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

We're Posties's !! That's how we keep em' running....
  10. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Appreciate it..will trace it back until it looks healthy...
  11. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Yes low pressure...
  12. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Plumbing supply store works for me...
  13. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Chesapeake

Can PEX be used with hydrocarbons...dunno?
  14. chesapeake46

From what I know PEX is really only used for water or chlorinated water and under floor heated water.
    I was sure there was a plastic or PEX-like tube that could replace copper in the steering but when I looked up Hynautic steering, they still have copper tubing on their material list.
    Cpt Ralph or J will know for sure.
    I did not think today's builders were still using copper.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Plastic or Pex is a No No.
    There is a synthetic tube that is available but not recommended by me.
    Copper or hydrolic hose is where you want to go.
    Light copper tubing will work but when I have to use Copper in a line like this, I purchase the heavier A/C Copper tubing. Thicker wall, takes more pressure, takes more abuse (what killed your tubing) and better seal at the flair. Just over twice the price but still cheap.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Now, for the fix;
    The copper lines comes from the helm(s) to the stern. They would terminate to a alloy block, then hoses to the steering ram.
    How far from the block is your tubing damage?

Can you offer diagrams, measurements between connects and pictures of the area the tube is leaking, the alloy block and steering ram hoses.

Please confirm it's a Hynautic steering system. It has a bottle somewhere with w air gauge on top.
    Or that other ole brand that you fill at the top helm head and ad no pressure.

Do I sense a reluctance in you flaring copper tubing?
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I inspected the copper tubing when I repowered and rebuild the steering and it was still in excellent condition. Original since 1970 but I think Hatteras used thick wall tubes.

Braided hose can be used but costly if you have long run. Or maybe plastic tubing like hynautic uses in outboard systems. Check their site for recommendation.

If you only have one leak and rest looks fine, just repair it with a new section
  18. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

I get things like this from Untied Refrigeration Supply or Grainger....etc...the tubing comes in a roll. They have the flair tool and tubing cutter. You can do the work it's not to hard. trace the entire line , the best you can first and look for more leaks just in case. It's not to hard just to run one new complete section in from point A to B. That would be the right way.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

To much hidden copper that is probably still in great shape.
    I have re-plumbed boats before (including mine) in the past for the steering system. More cost in materials but cheaper in labor; run hose.
    Lets get more data from Boomer before we start throwing any materials or money at his issue.
  20. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

True, it is a long, tricky run from the bridge on down...well my 1981 system is still holding pressure and no leaks....yet...tick,tick,tick tock, pop! My time will come....