Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger

McMullen & Wing: "Ermis II"

Discussion in 'McMullen & Wing Yachts' started by Yacht News, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

If we cast our minds back to the date, May 27, 2006 the transfer of the Carbon fiber Cored hull of a certain yacht was realized. This transfer, took the hull to the outfitting shed for outfitting and to be mated with her superstructure. These structures belong to the highly anticipated Mc Mullen & Wing, m/y Ermis 2.

As of the present time, the Ermis 2 is nearing completion and according to Mc Mullen & Wing, is set for September or October. One of the reasons why this particular yacht is highly anticipated is because it will be one of the first for a little while to have a projected speed of 60 knots.

The Ermis 2 will have three powerful MTU16V 4000 M90 engines, each of which will deliver some 2,720 KW of power. Propulsion wise, this Mc Mulen & Wing yacht will carry KaMeWa waterjets. To power all aspects onboard, 2 Northern Lights generators will be utilized.

According to the website, the renderings suggest that the Ermis 2 will feature a grey hull and white supertructure. Along the length of the hull just above the waterline, a white solid line overlayed with a grey pinstripe will settle for the bootline.

Built to a design of Rob Hymphreys, her overall design gives the feel as if she is of a military design. Angular in certain aspects yet subtly curvy in others provides for a modern flair. Here are some statistics and information on the Ermis 2:

Length Over All 37.03 m
    Beam 6.40 m
    Draft 1.30 m
    Displacement (lightship) 97,000 kgs
    Water Capacity 2,000 Litres
    Fuel Capacity 42,000 Litres
    Engines 3 x MTU16V4000
    Gearboxes Twin Disc
    Generators 2 x Northern Lights
    Top Speed 60 Kts
    Cruising Speed 35 Kts
    Designer Humphreys Yacht Design

http://www.mcmullenandwing.com/Ermis.htm

http://www.mcmullenandwing.com

ErmisFront400.gif
  2. Yacht News

The McMullen & Wing Ermis II has been launched today at the yard. Beautiful launch...Does anyone in NZ have any pics? K1W1?
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Sorry Yachtluver, I am not in New Zealand at the moment.
  4. Yacht News

That's ok, we can't do anything about that...She is such a unique build though...
  5. Mets

Mets New Member

60 knotts top speed huh? That's pretty sweet if I do say so myself.
  6. Yacht News

Mets, that is the anticipated top speed... Sea Trials will show whether or not it will be so...
  7. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

I am dying to see pics of this thing, and would love to know how she did in the weight department.
  8. Yacht News

9. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Some new pics are up on the McMullen and Wing site, she is a good looker!
  10. Yacht News

11. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Will the boat be stationed in Greece and what does the name Ermis mean? Is it something you can share with us?
  12. Pip2andahalf

Pip2andahalf New Member

Yes, it will be. The name Ermis is a reference to the Greek God, "Hermes," the God "of boundaries and of the travelers who cross them," also he is the messenger for the Gods, known for his swift speeds of travel, with his winged sandals.

More info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermes

Her predecessor was "The Ermis," also a remarkable craft.

One of my favorite things about this incredible ship is the understated design- a clear and important requirement of the owner.
    The ship is, as we know, revolutionary and fantastic, but she is purposely designed to avoid gaudiness. As described in Boat International, "Strangely, it [the design of the ship with regards to the need for speed] does not unduly influence her looks - she has the airs of a robust, modern vessel rather than an ocean-going Ferrari. That is intentional because the owner's quest for speed has nothing to do with flamboyance... (94)"
  13. Yacht News

Pip2andahalf, you got to it before me :). I believe that we all will be still very interested in the Ermis 2, well at least I am. We anticipate your trip and report/pics.

...and ofcourse non-boat owners are welcomed here. Yacht Forums (YF) is a welcoming community of new starter enthusisats like your self, seasoned enthusiast, industry experts, employees of the industry and the like. You don't have to be a boat owner to take up residence here. Welcome to YF.