Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service

McKinna 57 Pilothouse

Discussion in 'McKinna Yacht' started by Oscarvan, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Any of you Captains ever operate one of these? There's a few on YW but there seems to be little real information out there on them....
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Thank you, that appears to be the 70', but it informs of the quality of build. I am also looking for the "bad and the ugly" after 20 years....
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

My bad. I'm juggling a member mailer behind the screen today. Overlooked the size. :(
  5. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

No prob. Looking for some of the skippers here that may have done a delivery or two on one....
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have. I managed a 65' Mckinna several years back, still in touch with the current owner a little. They're ok, wouldn't put them at the height of quality and of course the 65' is the 57' that's stretched, which is the 70' which is the same hull stretched even more. Boat had 2 chillers and was under a/c'ed and hard to get really cold. The electrical system was a completely over complicated mess of wiring, solenoids, etc. Entire boat ran off of an inverter, so if you lost shorepower it would start drawing off batteries, if they got below 21 volts, inverter would shut down, batteries would be dead, and resetting shorepower, the inverter wouldn't come back on to charge the batteries or provide shorepower, so we had to install another charger just for that purpose. The fuel system was another typical overcomplicated mess with 20+ fuel valves in the engine room that weren't labeled. Also had those air stabilizers that didn't work much in a decent or real sea (because air compresses!). But was a fairly good seaboat, albeit a tad on the wet side. Cruised at 20-21 knots with 3196's.
  7. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Thanks Capt J.... that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.
  8. boaterholic

boaterholic New Member

Reviving this thread...
    I'm kind of interested in a 1999 model year 57. Can anyone provide any current info, good or bad, on the model and things to look for on a survey?
    Also some general questions. Anyone know what is a comfortable cruise speed when I need to get somewhere a little faster, on boat with 450 Cummins?
    How about what is a good hull speed for fuel efficiency and to enjoy the ride? And what are expected fuel burn/mpg at slow speed and at normal cruise speeds?
    Propeller diameter and pitch info? 4 blades I assume. One I recently looked at it appears the shaft was about 2 1/2" diameter.

This particular boat is not stabilized. Anyone know how they are with beam seas or at anchor with a swell?

Thanks for the help!