Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Perko

Max width at waterline of a 70' hatteras?

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Matt46post, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

does anybody know what the max width at the waterline is for a 1981 70' hatteras extended deck house motor yacht? I believe the 70' hulls are the same from 1976-83,The beam is 18'7", will measuring the width at the transom give me an acurate width?the boats seem to get wider amidship, Finding a slip wide enough in the older marinas is turning out to be challenging
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

You don't want to have to wedge it in to a slip even if you knew the number plus there may be pilings or posts that don't allow you to go by waterline width. Typically what one has to do with such a boat it get a longer slip than needed to get the width.
  3. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

The slip is 18'4" wide ,I am considering buying the boat and will not be able to get on it to measure for a week , and it really hard to get an exact measurement amidship, I called hatteras and couldn't tell me
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Well, you don't want to try to stuff that boat into an 18'4" slip. It would probably go in but then no room for fenders, no room for decent entry or exit to the slip.
  5. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

The boat is probably around 16.5" at the waterline ,I was hoping someone might know what the actual width is so I can relay it to the marina,,getting the boat in out of the slip won't be a problem even if it's tight
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Call Paul Hall at Hatteras support. The exact numbers are just a call away.
  7. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

The boat is probably around 16.5" at the waterline ,I was hoping someone might know what the actual width is so I can relay it to the marina,,getting the boat in out of the slip won't be a problem even if it's tight, you wo
    thank you I will
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

They will need the hull number (HIN).
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Beam is usually the widest beam which will be amidship at the rubrail.

If coming into a slip with wooden pilings getting in is easy as the stern is more narrow. If the slip is in a very sheltered marina you can away with almost no clearance amidship but if you're going to be in a location more exposed to wind and chop you need more clearance

I have about 18" total clearance in my slip and it's hard to keep the boat off the wooden pilings when it blows. No matter how well set up are the lines, they stretch enough to result in contact. Not a huge deal with a decent rubrail... until storm surge gets you so high that the pilings hit the rubrail from under :(

When in a slip with pilings on both sides (not a tee head) i consider fenders to be a feel good bandaid. When it starts blowing they will move around enough to be useless. You just need enough clearance to set up your lines so you won't hit the pilings.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There is no way it is that narrow at the waterline at the beamiest point. maybe right at the waterline, but then there is the 5" lip of hell that juts out about 8" above the waterline. 17'-17'4 would be my guess where a floating dock would be......and if you're talking about putting it in a slip that narrow, no way to put fenders etc.
  11. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys ,capt J your probably right on
  12. RER

RER Senior Member

...the 5" lip of hell?
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

HULL, not hell. Typo....... the hull juts out about 5" about 8" above the waterline and stays that way to the rub rail. Just like a lot of the newish Hatteras' do.
  14. RER

RER Senior Member

Okay, double chine. I'm thinking for some reason you hated the spray rail.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Most older hulls are more narrow at the water line, they flare out towards the rub rail. An easy way to measure is to use a plumb line and measure the gap at WL
  16. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

I'm guessing that any slip in question would be in California? That would be floating docks on either side, if the beam near waterline is in question. If the boat is currently in a slip with a finger on each side, you could measure the width of the slip and the clearances on both sides to arrive at max beam at the most significant portions of the hull