Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

Matrix WaterMaker Repair

Discussion in 'Watermakers' started by Danvilletim, Sep 13, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Our Matrix Water maker is dead. We thought it might be a transformer but Beard Marine is suspecting a bad motherboard and they are stepping out of the repair process. (unless I want to buy a new unit).

Membranes are brand new.. Even if you can't get a new brain from the original OEM, I would imagine there would be another path that could use someone else's controls? Membranes are brand new and Id hate to not be able to get this working.

Thanks!
  2. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Is this what you need?
    253289363827. eBay item number.
  3. Trak

Trak Member

When my Sea Recovery on my Hatteras died, I removed the electronics and made a manual system. I was able to use the old water flow parts. Start the motors manually, adjust the raw water pressure, check salinity with a handheld tester, then switch product water valve to tank.
  4. Trak

Trak Member

5. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Is Reverse Osmosis water similar to distilled water in flavor and or taste ?
    I am wondering how drinkable R.O. water is.
    Distilled water is flat, for lack of a better word.
  6. Trak

Trak Member

The distillation process removes over 99% of imputities and TDS. RO is probably removing 95%. For the desalination process, I switch my product water to tank when the TDS is below 300ppm. The RO system usually settles at about 200 ppm while it is runing. Water with fewer TDS will have less taste. I cant say that I notice the different tastes of bottled water, but some of my friends really taste a difference.
  7. rgrennen

rgrennen New Member

Do they want you to buy a new “motherboard” or a new water maker. It’s seems a little ridiculous to put in a whole new system because one piece is broken.

Distilled water has the lowest number of impurities in it. On old steam ships that the kind of water they can use because otherwise it would skuz up the 900psi boilers. Usually it gets sent through a mineralizer before going to house so that drinking water doesn’t just flush your system. The issue is with the kinds of impurities that are left behind. Some people say that RO units are the only water makers that remove 100% of pharmaceuticals because the boiling temp is to high to remove with evaporators.

Deciding between RO and Evaporator basically just depends on the situation it will be used for.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Think clean SOFT water. Ever bathed in soft water?
    The better RO systems have a UV light to ensure all thingies are dead.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Looks like a switch & control box. Not a main board.
    Usually the RO control board has the salt sensor-product water valve control and maybe extra timed functions.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We have two systems on JoSea. The Horizon 300 and an old Rich 300 system
    The horizon salt sensor is automatic and works very well.
    The Rich system salt sensor has long ago failed. It was a manual system anyway. It's my back up but when in the islands with company on board, both systems run during the day.
    I crank up the Rich system and let it run for 30 minutes and manually sample the water. Always clean and no taste, then I divert to to the potable water tanks.
    I'll shut the Horizon down at night. Yes, the spoiled city folk have no idea of water rationing.
    When it's just Josie & I, one system runs about every 4 or 5th night.

So. You can always make a manual system and keep your new tubes & use them.
  11. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Could well be, but figured I would let the OP know, we both know that what somebody initially thinks the problem is , ainta necessarily so.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yes, you are correct there...
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Just buy a new one. If you fix junk, you still have junk. Especially if you're going to do charters. There is nothing that will shut a charter down like running out of water!
  14. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I noticed last week that the boat was back on the market for sale so maybe he just wants to repair what he has if possible.
    I'm familiar with this vessel and its lack of crews quarters will kill any working crew prior to any charters lack of H-2/0.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Agreed. Maybe keep the original as a manual backup like mine.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If the crew is not happy, nobody will be happy.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

A long time ago, I interviewed for a mates position on a fairly new intermarine. The crew bunks were 5'8 and so close to each other that you had to get out of bed to roll over. Who on earth thought that you could have any crew live there is beyond me. I wonder what some of these people are thinking when they design accommodations. Then again I run some new smaller Euro motoryachts and the crew mattress on those is only wide enough for a 10 year old.
  18. Danvilletim

Yes the boat is on the market. We had a ton of fun and did some good charters, but living in California and only being able to use the boat 4 times a year, doesn't make sense to own and keep crewed and not use it.

The boat will go into FLIBs and then has charters booked in St Marten for holidays. At 11kts we are only burning 14 gph per side, so we can get there i. one jump.

The charter part of it makes financial sense, but honestly it's too much work. I'm retired and all though I love boating, I don't want to manage another business.

So yes I went big to see if I liked it, and although lots of fun, I think 70' ish would be more my style.

We ran the boat with 3 guest cabin and four crew. One being a queen size guest room. Plenty of room. If you ran private with theee crew it would do. Four staterooms.

For those interested... take a look. We have had 3 showings in first week.

https://www.**************/boats/1984/Poole-Chaffee-105-3248677/#.W5_AvTllChA
  19. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Certainly a lot of boat for the $$$. The last two refits were completed to high standards and it shows. Bannenberg & Bill Poole designed the boat with good crew accoms. in the bow but when refit by an owner operator they reduced the crew accoms. to the athwartships over and under aft of the engine room bulkhead with the Capt. possibly in one of the aft guest S.R.s. I'm sure the vessel will see good interest @ FLIBS.
  20. Danvilletim

Lots of fun in that boat.... Here's my first attempt at Drone video flown by myself... And of course and where you look in exumas is gorgeous so its hard to make a bad video!!