Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for JetForums Click for Westport

Masts on Motoryachts?

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by lovinlifenc, Jun 1, 2010.

1. lovinlifenc

lovinlifenc Member

I have noticed that many large motor-yachts have somewhat tall masts on their foredeck. Can someone please enlighten me to the use or functionality of such a mast? Thanks!

Greg
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

The forward mast on the foredeck that I think you are referring to is called a steaming mast or pole. On some yachts they are fixed structures and on others, they are telescopic or can fold-away or do double duty as a forward deck crane.

You will find these masts on yachts that are 50-meters in length or longer. Once you see that, it is a good indication that the vessel you are looking at is 164 feet or larger. On the top of these forward masts are lights, usually anchor notation lights and the forward navigation lights. If you look carefully, you would see that the forward mast is...always lower than the height of the main mast. They are carrying the white navigation lights so this helps you to distinguish what direction the vessel is travelling in at night... Hope that helps a bit...That is not all to the forward mast, but other people can further explain, I have to run off at the moment...