Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Mast Building

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by coolgps, Jan 18, 2012.

1. coolgps

coolgps New Member

We are going to build mast for our sailboat (60'), now we are confusing about the mold. Coz we want to prepreg it, so the mold has to be heated in cycle. Now we have two opts, sandwich structure(outside carbon fiber and inside PVC core,which is cheap) and single skin (just carbon fiber,expensive,which we can prepreg it).

Anyone here experienced building a mast? Thanks for any idea.
  2. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nope, never built a mast, but I sold a 65' carbon fibre mast on ebay some 15 months ago.

Also bought and sold a couple of aluminium mast recently.

If you want to build a high quality wooden mast, I got the guy for you:

CF Boatworks | Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315

Good folks, no BS.
  3. coolgps

coolgps New Member

Thanks for advice. We have bought 3 masts for our sailboats. Now we are going to build it on our own. And all the components of our boat should be carbon fiber, so wooden one is not our choice.
  4. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

If there is absolutely one thing you don't want to break, have troubles with, skimp on, it's a mast, and it's rigging.

Go big, do it once, and do it right... alternatively, you could spend the extra money you saved on a get home motor.
  5. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Speaking of masts and rigging...I should let you know that Southern Spars has a brand new website :)

Southern Spars
  6. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I thought I posted this already, but perhaps I hit the delete button before it got posted...won't be the first time :confused:

You should get in touch with Eric ********. He has lots of experience with all types on mast.
    ******** Yacht Design Inc.

Free Standing Masts