Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Perko Click for Northern Lights

Marking anchor chain

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by denzil, Apr 27, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. denzil

denzil New Member

Some help please. My chain is stainless and i want to paint markers on it. I know there's an industry standard for colours but can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know? I was just going to use red white and blue. Red for 5m, white for 10m & blue 20m, so that 35m would read RWB and 50m would read BBW. Any other easier suggestions?
    The next thing is the paint to use. It's a stainless chain but i dont want to have paint flakes all over the deck every time we use the anchor as the chain goes through the anchor winch.
    Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thank you :)
  2. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

3. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

Traditional colour code

Go Green
    Rub Red
    Your Yellow
    Balls Blue
    With White
    Grease Green

On ships the chain is usually marked at every shackle which is 90 ft or 15 fathoms.
  4. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

That's funny, I wonder how many First mates ended up with a broken nose after giving that order to the uninitiated.:D
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Tried to paint my chain when it was new, but the paint flaked off and faded after 20 or 30 dunkings.

Ended up with little nylon lines knotted on the links every 75 feet or so.

Some guys use colored cable ties.

If ya are going to paint, White color every 50 feet may work with red every 200.
  6. Garry Hartshorn

We have nylon webbing sewn onto a couple of links at the mark, as well as re-painting every 6 months or so. However it is galvanised chain so the paint sticks a little better than on stainless,
  7. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I've also seen plastic zip ties (zip strips) used if painting isn't your preferred method or choice.

Simply tie them off *through* each link at the appropriate location, rather than around the entire chain.
  8. wingless

wingless Member

Mine are painted with a two-digit trinary color code with red being the lowest digit, white next and blue the highest digit.

For my 200' chain my marks are every 20'.

As shown in the link, the 2nd digit is on both sides of the 1st digit. Unlike the link I don't use a no-color fourth digit.

On mine, I painted two links for each color.

This has worked fine to set the proper scope.

My Painted Chain
    http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/wingless-pics/Boat/PaintedChain1024.jpg
  9. dainisk

dainisk Member

I've used a system based on roman numerals - and marked the chain based on the depth sounder reading, rather than just length. Here's how it works:

Using a 4:1 scope, and including freeboard at the bow and the depth of the transducer, I have calulcated the length of chain necessary for a 4:1 scope. I then painted splotches on the chain at the correct points. The number of splotches and colour are roman numeral based. For the number 3, I have three white splotches. For the number 5, I have one red splotch (red symbolises the roman numberal 'V'.) For the number 4, it is a white before red. For number 6, it is red followed by white and so on. 10 is 2 reds.

This way I don't have to do any mental arithmetic. Just glance down at the depthsounder and call out the number to the deck mate and all she has to do is reel it out to the right number of splotches. Of course, that's for 4:1 scope - I can then make a judgment call if more is required.

The chain is galvanised and the paint tends to last a couple of years - though I tend to repaint it each year when the boat comes out for it's annual bottom work.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've always painted the chain with distances of a shot (10 meters) with red, white, then blue. then white/red, white/white, white/blue, then blue/red, blue/white, blue blue.

Colored tie wraps are good but hard to see in some conditions.

Whatever you do, make sure there is a guide somewhere at the helm that says what color means what and what distances.
  11. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Nothing wrong with painting at 10 meters, but 10 meters isn't a shot. A shot is 15 fathoms/90 ft/27.4 meters.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, have my terminology messed up.......or distance.......
  13. RER

RER Senior Member

Maybe it's me but some of these methods seem overly complicated for something as simple as marking anchor chain... How about tying an 8 inch length of 1/4" braided yellow polyprop... 1 @50ft... 2@100ft... 3@150ft... you get the idea, separate them by about 2 links, oh, and pay attention when you drop your anchor.
  14. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I don't mark them at all except 25' before I catch solid on the bitter end. I just go by the angle with it pulled up tight.
  15. Garry Hartshorn

I'll go along with that but it is handy to give the decky an idea of what I want to start with.