Click for YF Listing Service Click for MotorCheck Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Burger

Marinize a Engine?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by fantasymaker, Apr 25, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. fantasymaker

fantasymaker New Member

Im looking at putting a single new diesel in my boat in place of twin gassers.
    Whats required to Marinize a engine?
    Are some easyer than others?
    What benifits would I gain by each modification?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

As you have posted previously that you have access to a range of engines I would suggest you look for a marine engine equivalent of one of those that has a rod out the side or been cooked to point of destruction and buy it for the marine bits.

You will bascially need the exhaust manifold if the engine you choose doesn't have a water or other way non air cooled one. The Coolers and pumps will also be another thing you could make use of.

You are not likely to find a marine gearbox that will run with an engine inputting highway vehicle speeds so that is another consideration when looking for marine bits.

You stated earlier that your boat is only worth $10,000, given that's what its worth How much are you looking to spend on it?
  3. fantasymaker

fantasymaker New Member

I dont have a hard budget but since I have diesel engines available pretty much free from highway vehicals Id think I could keep a re engine to less than the cost a rebuilding twin ford 427s.
  4. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

diesel conversion

Marinizing is not your only cost.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Besides a 20' CC with an outboard, I can't imagine a $10,000 boat worth bothering to repower even with a free motor. Then there are the hull modifications going 2 to 1, rudders, shafts. A 5 spead trans with a clutch could be interesting. I certainly wouldn't bother with marinization. I doubt she'll be floating long enough the hurt anything. How about going dry stack?
  6. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Dry stack, closed loop cooling.
    But you really have a cost versus reward scenario with a 10K boat that only you can answer.
    However nobody ever said spending money on a boat was a wide thing. It's a silly destructive behavior we have an infliction for!

Any way you look at it, it's going to be a nickle and dime project. I might consider dual 6 or 8cyl diesels. Specs on the boat would be helpful.
  7. fantasymaker

fantasymaker New Member

LOL in the other post where I asked about a good choice to use to reengine I was repeatedly told that marineizing was the way to go. I was specificaly told my idea of dry stack and closed loop was a Bad idea.
    I take it the boating community has some differences in opion?
    What specs do ya need? 38 foot steel hull 24,000 pounds current power twin 300 hp ford 427s.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Mostly a matter of what you're investing and investing in, what you've got available, and where you want to cut holes. You're better off marinized and wet, but it sounds like a shoe string project that may not live for more than a season. Huck Finn just tied some logs together and it worked.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would like to think that the poster who suggests dry stack and closed loop cooling was talking about the use of keel coolers to cool the jacket water and the bit of the exhaust outside the engine room being dry not from the side of the cylinder head onwards

If you are only ever going to run in freshwater you might get away with a straight FW Cooling - suck in from the lake/river pump it through the engine and dump it directly
  10. fantasymaker

fantasymaker New Member

Years ago I worked on a 32 foot fishing boat I think it had a 3 cylinder diesel with a dry exhaust that went up the stack . I seem to remeber the engine room (well more like engine closet) was the only warm place on the boat.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Next to the stack would also be nice and toasty.