Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums Click for Comfort

MarineTraffic Plugin For Google Earth Is Working Again!!

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by discokachina, Aug 21, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!

The plugin for Marinetraffic.com to show vessel information in Google Earth is working again!!!

Go to MarineTraffic vessels on Google Earth, in Real-Time and click on the "Open the Google Earth file of MarineTraffic" link, click on Open, and assuming you have Google Earth installed on your computer it will open once again showing vessel info.

When you exit Google Earth save to temporary places and then the next time you open Google Earth the Marine Traffic data will be showing.
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Just got a 404 when I clicked the link on the Marine Traffic website. I'll try again later... this would be a great program to have. :)
  3. discokachina

Sorry, now when I try the link again I get the 404 message too.

I guess I got lucky! I am still able to see vessels in Google Earth so I will keep my fingers and toes crossed!!
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Speaking of which I use the iPhone app, works well. Can also send position with mAIS app.
  5. Lynnwoodjohn

Lynnwoodjohn New Member

Addicted!

Disco! I had no problems adding the plug in to Google Earth..woohoo!
    Now How do I get rid of the barges, cruise ships and the other?
  6. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

i got a 404 too ...
  7. discokachina

Great! I have not been able to find a way to do that, it seems it is all or nothing in Google Earth but being able to see all the boat names without having to click on each and every icon is awesome!

In MarineTraffic you can setup an account and put boats into My Fleet so you can see at a click where all your favorite yachts are located.

Click on Services and then My Fleet, My Notifications, My Data and follow the prompts to set up a Profile and then you can put yachts into My Fleet.
  8. discokachina

The marinetraffic plug in for Google Earth was "deprecated" as of January 2015. When I asked marinetraffic about this they said, "The service was deprecated because we are trying to consolidate and normalize our services. The Google Earth KML service was part of an older, legacy subsystem which we are gradually retiring. There are several reasons behind this decision, but the main reason is the KML service was being exploited for data theft. Since we now have more comprehensive API services, we plan to eventually release KML rendering capabilities for our vessel positions API, so you will be able to display vessels or vessel tracks on Google Earth using a standard MarineTraffic API service."

I enjoyed using this feature quite a bit so hopefully the API service will be released sooner rather than later and at cost that is affordable for recreational users.
  9. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Another good feature I use all the time, right click boat icon that sets waypoint, then left click further ahead to set waypoints and it will give you speed and ETA . I use this all the times when yachts are crossing Lake Ontario and Lake Erie heading for Welland Canal , I then no their time of arrival. You can do several waypoints and it will give you all the information you want.