Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Furuno

Marine propane water heaters.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Joe da wrench, May 7, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Joe da wrench

Joe da wrench New Member

I am looking for options and opinions regarding propane tankless heaters. Thinking of converting a standard tank system to on demand propane. Any thoughts welcome.
  2. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

Had one on a small sailing cat, hated it. The flame was on or off so the temp went up and down. If you can find one that modulates the heat it would be a different story.
  3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Zero experience with these in the marine environment but plenty of exposure in the RV world which is less demanding in many ways. Short version: All but the best suck. As mentioned above, all kinds of flow rate delta T issues, especially when there's long runs. Welcome to the "cold sandwich" The instructions in the Atwood version state "Navy showers are not recommended". Total PITA. The ONLY brand that I would look at is TRUMA and only if they have a true marine version.

I have had propane on a boat, but am not a fan of it. Ideally I'd be looking for a hydronic system which is electric/engine/diesel for hot water AND compartment heat. Aquahot makes one for the RV world, I believe they make marine versions. I am sure there are others. Not the cheapest, but this is not really a place to skimp.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It would help if you d tell us what kind of boat you have. If you have a generator it only takes 20 to 30 minutes to heat the water heater. In many case you supplement with engine heat.

Personally I don’t like propane on boats. Have you seen the results of a propane explosion? The