Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Westport

Marine (inspired) Architecture

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by OutMyWindow, Jul 9, 2007.

1. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

In the spirit of showcasing ALL things beautiful with a Marine theme. I though to add this beauty to the forum.
    Maybe we can showcase other extraordinary architectural wonders from your neck of the woods. I would think there should be a couple others out there.
    http://www.greatervancouverparks.com/355BurrardPhotos.html

Attached Files:

2. OutMyWindow

Attached Files:

3. airship

airship Senior Member

The first building that came into mind was the BURJ AL ARAB' Hotel in Dubai:
    A few weeks ago, a Cat. 4/5 cyclone passed just a few hundred miles away. It's still standing...the relatively miserably-rewarded Pakistani / Indian workmanship passed a test of some sort: Allah be praised! What worries me is that one cloudy day, a Cat. 4/5 cyclone will pass directly overhead. Or that the UAE will experience an earthquake of a magnitude that usually only hits their neighbour across the waterway (remember Bam in Iran?) :eek:

Anyway, I'd love to be able to dine at the rooftop restaurant at least once during my lifetime (I'm not a Muslim, so I don't have to go to Mecca). A few years ago I was under the impression that one would expect to pay about $1,000 per head for the privilege. More recently, I understand that a couple of $100 per head would suffice. :confused:

Whatever, since it was built to look like a billowing sail, do you think the designers incorporated a furling system just in case a Cat. 4/5 cyclone ever hits...?! Does it really matter anyway - considering that all tall buildings are now valid terrorist targets in the wake of 9/11? And lifts get stuck. And the fire-fighters of even the most-advanced countries on the planet can't really cope with fires in sky-scrapers under normal circumstances.

If I give out the impression that I'm not entirely comfortable with tall-buildings...you'd be right! Much prefer seeing them from a distance I guess. :)
  4. OutMyWindow

Your right about Dubai, its been described as an "Architectural Disneyland".

Here are the "five sails" of Vancouver's trade & convention center. Also the cruise ship terminal.
    *photo credit: Maurice Jassak

Attached Files:

5. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

LOL! Airship... I didn't even hear about the cyclone of which you speak about but ok. I saw a Documentary on the Burj Al Arab Hotel from the construction to the finish masterpiece that she is today. Wonderful Engineering and great design, the simple sail in the wind.
  6. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

Airship, true that the workers in the UAE are piss treated, but the whole country is rushing head long into the 21st century and well not thinking much about what they should be doing. In a few years they will have the world's Tallest building. As for Architecture around me, it is all about the lighthouse in Maine!
    http://www.woodislandlighthouse.org/ I could get more, but a quick Google will let you find, the Portland Head light! :D