Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

Marina Database?

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by mrkong64, Jul 24, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mrkong64

mrkong64 New Member

I am currently trying to build up a database of all of the marinas on the east coast of the US.

Does anything like this already exist?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Several.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

NYCAP- Would you care to enlighten the rest of us as to where these Db's can be found?
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That question coming from K1W1 has me wondering if I'm reading the question wrong??? I've responded to both by PM with several of the many sites where just about anything about the marinas can be found. Is that the info you're looking for?
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I wondered too.

Thanks for the PM with all those useful links.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  6. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Please post it. Or I'd love to have the link.
    Thanks!
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Ken, I have forwarded the PM to you.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Wow, I guess you big guys forget that the east coast has more than 8 ports.;) Thought I'd read it wrong or Mrkong64 was pulling our leg.:confused: Glad I could be of assistance:) .
  9. brunick

brunick Senior Member

wouldn't it be a very nice thing to have these marinas posted in the waypoints forums?
    maybe like list of marinas in the world, and you could write a review to that marina?

would bring in traffic to the page carl ;)
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's a very time consuming task to do without running afoul of some copywrites, and the info is already readily available. What you may consider though Carl is to bring in one of the links in my PM as a paid advertiser or sponser.;)
  11. FabianAndrades

FabianAndrades New Member

Marinas

NYCAP123, would you please be so kind to PM me the sites ?? One of my captains is delivering a boat to Maryland (from MIA), and the last time he did it was 5 years ago. I want to provide him with as much information as I can. Thank you so much
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

at the risk of sounding negative, i'd be worried about a captain who doens't have the latest info/data on a trip he's about to start :)

seriously, marinas.com, activecaptain.com and atlanticcruisingclub.com are the 3 sites i use to find updated info on east coast marinas. ACC doens't cover GA and the carolinas though. marinas.com has limited info but has high res. arerial imagery which i find useful.

what kind of boat? LOA, draft?

some good stops that can accomodate a decent size boat and 6+ draft:
    - Charleston City Megadock
    - Savanah River Street market
    - St Augustine Municipal
    - Golden Isles in St Simmons
    - Jarrett Bay in Beaufort for cheap fuel
    - Tidewater in Portsmouth (good price fuel)

speaking of fuel prices, I find Salty's cruisernet.net to be a very good resource to find the best priced fuel. Some captains dont' care adn don't bother making a few phone call to find the best priced fuel even though diesel prices can vary by as much as 50c a gallon just a couple of miles apart. that's $500 per 1000 gallons... worth doing your homework.

on my trip up to Nantucket this month, Jarrett Bay in Beaufort was 1.92, Porstmouth Boating Center was 1.85 and Miss Chris in Cape May NJ was 1.99

Up north, obvously not of interest to you but coudl be to others, I was just quoted 2.07 at Pt Judith Marina and 2.17 at Casey in Newport (will refuel in newport on friday)

(all prices with tax)

btw... in miami, dont' refuel at one of the marinas.. prices can be as much as 0.75 per gallon higher! Call Admiral oil 305 371 FUEL, they can deliver diesel at the gas fuel dock in Rickenbacker. MUCH cheaper than Miami Beach Marina or Sealine
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'd be very suspect of anyone selling fuel for more than 25% below his neighbors. For day cruising it is very important to comparrison shop, but on a transport I find the facilities more important than price. I certainly wouldn't blow an hour fueling one place for price then untieing to go someplace else to stay. I especially like to hear "we fuel at your slip". Maybe I'm just lazy or pampered, but after 6 to 10 hours of running and facing another couple of hours on engineroom checks, course plotting and taking care of anthing that needs looking after I don't like to waiste 10 minutes of my personal time. Never stayed at Jarrett Bay. What's there? I usually go to the Beauford Docks. Town is right there and I like to eat at Clawsons. Plus there's usually people around and sometimes a band.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Jarett Bay is about 3 miles up Adams creek... nothign there really except the yard!

nothign suspect about fuel being cheaper... for instance, in the fall when prices were coming down, it was all about finding the marina who had received the most recent delivery.

this time around, with diesel being fairly stable, the difference where still significant, I guess some marinas charge more depending on their amenities.

What's the big deal with moving the boat after fueling? it's the actual pumping of the fuel that takes long, not moving the boat...
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I know where they are. They're the Viking yard. You work too hard. We work 10-15 hours a day on the boat for as many days straight as the trip takes. We're bored and battered, missing our families and always stressed. A few dollars isn't worth adding lonely to that.
    It could easily take 30 minutes or more to go to one marina for fuel, then fire up and go to another to settle in. Or, in this case it takes time to get to town or a restaurant from there unless you're going to hang in a closed boatyard all night. That's my time that's being used.
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Hatteras yard/dealer actually, not viking...

well, i dont' know.... i see managing the boat and the budget as part of the job and my duty to keep costs under control. If that includes spending an extra half hour to refuel or spending the night at a not dock that's somewhat remote, I dont' really care..

if i thought my job was boring, battering, stressful and underpaying i'd certainly look at something else to do. Sure at the end of a 12 hour run, it's not fun rinsing the boat or fixing something but but those nice moments on the water make it all worth it.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Hat right. Thanks. Senior moment.
    On the day to day I agree with you, however not on a transport. When you're on duty 24/7 and working over 100 hours a week for 2 weeks straight without a day off it is boring, battering and stressful. I don't work boats where I'm underpaid though which is half of why I'm in this business. The other half is that I'm pretty good at what I do. In my area I keep track of who charges what and save the owners where I can. On a transport my job is to get the boat from here to there safely, not to be a martyr. To me it is important to finish the day with a little relaxation (no, not drinking) and a good dinner.
    Those "nice moments on the water" are seldom appreciated until the evening. Till then you're busy concentrating on "what's waiting to bite us next".
  18. tfurmato

tfurmato New Member

Are the links still available for researching marinas? My end goal is to find a boat that was afloat on the Jersey shore in the 50's.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

20. BlackBeard78

BlackBeard78 New Member

Capt Ralph, yes, according to the marks there is not everything there, they are just as additional information, an approximate guideline, I look in more detail at the Google Map itself, when approaching the necessary place there all marinas are marked with a link to the description in Google Map, and double-checked. In addition, it is very convenient to watch the local infrastructure: restaurants, hotels, etc. Yes, and there is very good detail satellite images of the coastal strip.

https://marinas.com/ it really will be more interesting according to the marks of marinas, plus additional related information, and satellite images, although not as detailed as on Google Map, but it will also be useful as a different view of the area, and even twirl them it’s possible from different angles in different directions, so I’ll definitely add to bookmarks, thanks) The more sources of information, the better)