Click for Comfort Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

"MANUFACTURER'S" Extended Warranty Programs vs. Independent ones

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Gratitude, May 28, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Gratitude

Gratitude Member

So, I am faced with the purchase of an extended warranty next from Galeon to extend my warranty to 6 years vs. the standard 3 years when I close. What they offer is to cover everything from Galeon along with Volvo, Cummins, Raymarine, etc. There are exclusions of course. The question is does anyone have any experience with any type of extend warranties. Not service contracts although that would be another topic.

Any EXPERIENCED help would be greatly appreciated from all. thanks
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Read the fine print carefully especially what is excluded. Everytime I ve looked at the fine print I was wondering what was actually covered.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'm not a big believer in them. Most new boat bugs should be worked out by 3 years. The next few should be your honeymoon period. Plus remember 3 year-itis. Odds are good you'll be buying your next boat before your 3 years are up. However if blowing a motor in year 4 would cause a problem I guess it's worth it to you. I'm also pretty sure that when your warranty is due to expire you'll get offers for extended warranties.
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  4. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

I agree with NYCAP. You will not require any warranty after the first 2 to 3 years. Instead invest in a good insurance cover which covers hull and machinery and your main engines and generators will be covered in the event of engine damage and total breakdown even after the manufacturer's warranty expires.
  5. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Get a complete marine survey before handing over the final payment and signing the bottom line. Make sure the surveyor has an eye on potential problems due to manufacturer weaknesses.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What is the price of the extended warranty and is it transferable to the next owner in the event that you sell the boat?
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Absolutely survey new boats before closing.
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

First, who is really covering the "Galeon" warranty? Is it a warranty or more a service plan. Is it strictly covered by Marine Max? This is unique for a builder to warranty equipment when it all has separate coverage. I like the extended plans by most engine builders. I don't know what you're talking about with independent warrantees as I don't know of anyone offering them on boats. Enlighten me, please.

Have you been given a copy of this so called warranty?
  9. bliss

bliss Senior Member

----------- and any other paper work you will be asked to sign at point of sale.