Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport

Man V 12 question

Discussion in 'Engines' started by JWY, Aug 5, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Looking for info on MAN V12 1300hp, 1993.

What is life expectancy before rebuild? Can it be run at lower rpm/speed for fuel efficiency without build-up or shortening of engine life? What is its sweet spot? Fuel consumption?

Thanks!

Judy
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The sweet spot I've seen is usually around 1950 rpms on these. Yes it can be run lower speed and cuts out 1 side of the motor when the turbo's not really working (around 1000 rpms and less), if I'm not mistaken. I was told engine life was 5000 hours in a SF. Fuel consumption in a 57' Bertram was between 90-100gph for both at 1950- 1970 rpms.....it seemed to like 1970 for some reason. Queiter and more fuel efficient then typical 3412's of the same HP.

Only issues I remember was these would blow/break the metal high pressure fuel line coming off of the injector pump and fill the bilge with diesel. However MAN came out with a newer design that fixed the problem and there shouldn't be any left out there with the old design anymore.