Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Abeking

MAN engine alarm

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Ilrivero, Jan 19, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ilrivero

Ilrivero New Member

Hi there,
    Anyone with previous exhaust gas turbo alarms?

One of my D2876 LE405 engine's exhaust gas turbo alarm goes off and engine slows down If I run the boat over 1850 RPM, if I stay up to some 1800 RPM nothing happens, as soon as I go over 1850 RPM I get the alarm.

Someone told me they go off when incrustation is present but have new antifouling and the bellows, props, all is very new and clean

Any ideas?
    Not much help for MAN engines in this area…
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Unscrew the sensor and put in a meter, then run it to see actual temps
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Had it happen with a new Riva I ran one day. Shut it down, brought it back up, got home and stayed away from that boat since. Sorry, but I don't have a clue on the cause (my guess would be a bad sensor) or the cure, but Beau's suggestion sounds like the right first step.
  4. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

My guess is the sensor is bad. I have Man engines as well and had similar experiences with sensor going off at certain rpms or temperatures. Swap it with the same one on the other engine and see what happens.
  5. Donzi 54

Donzi 54 Member

Excellent idea.
  6. Ilrivero

Ilrivero New Member

Hey thanks to you all,

I swapped the sensor with the other engine, no difference, same problem port side.

Two weeks ago I had to install a new water maker and while the boat was haul and block, we went ahead and cleaned metals again, sanded the props and left them shining.

Incredibly, it took care of the problem, no more alarms on the port engine.
    It’s amazing how sensitive these sensors could be, the props where clean but not polished.

Since you guys reinforced my primary thought, I went ahead and ordered new sensors, even further, ordered one for each engine, you know, if one goes bad the other engine will too.
    How smart I am !!, I now have two spare sensors, didn’t use any….

Thanks to you all, and have fun, keep boating !!!!!!

Ignacio
  7. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

That prop cleaning may fix it temporarily but I doubt for very long. At least now you have a couple of new sensors to replace the one should it reoccur. Good luck.
  8. sunchaserv

sunchaserv Member

Maybe the sensor is doing its job. Are you able to achieve and hold rated max RPM with existing props, without EGT or water temps getting into the red?
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Ilriveo

You've got expensive engines there, screw in a temp meter and be sure of what's going on. Just my 2 cents.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Beau has a solid thought. Follow up any error with a simple and reliable tool. Resistance in wet, dry, loose, old wires can change daily.
    I've been around some sensor issues and most of the time, it is the sensor. Found some bad connects in the harness and at the bulkhead box a few times.
    Only once did I ever find an engine problem. And like you should; believe your indacations... Slow down, shut down, but save that motor.
    Don't guess at a fix. MANs put a lot of performance. But that sensor and computer stuff is there for a reason, to help the operator save the engines.
    Has anybody mentioned yet, MANs are very expensive to fix. More for those that ignore alarms.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It sounds as if the boat is over-propped and over-loaded, which will definately cause high EGT temperatures. You need to take the boat out and run top RPM and make sure it makes recommended RPM's, I'm willing to bet it doesn't, and if it doesn't you need to take pitch out of the propellors so that it does.

What kind of boat, what hp and how many hours on the engines.