Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Perko Click for Abeking

Man Cr-900

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Ricochet, Jul 13, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

Any experience, input, observations on this common rail model or MAN engines in general ? ... have been told that maintainence costs & parts are VERY expensive ... thanx
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Most likely a technical question, don't ya think...? The post has been moved to the Technical Forum.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

maintanence costs are higher then some US brands like CATS for example, one of the main reasons is that you have to do a lot of things by the year, like every 2 years for aftercoolers, heat exchangers etc. Cat goes by engine hours....every 1000 hours. The mans on the other hand are typically more fuel efficient (10% give or take), slightly faster (like 1-2 knots), and quieter then the CATS with the same HP.......

I would call your local Man dealer and get prices for the 2 year service on them from your dealer and compare with the CAT dealers 1000 hour service price (keep in mind this might be every 5 years if you only have typical usage)
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

thanks Capt ... will do
  5. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Not nearly as many good MAN service companies as MTU or CAT.
  6. vlafrank

vlafrank Senior Member

The German engines are a bit more labor-intensive, plus you're having to fight the dollar/euro exchange rate when buying parts for any German engine. To put that into automotive terms, think BMW/Mercedes maintenance costs vs. Buick/Cadillac. Neither is cheap, but American brands tend to be less labor-intensive, and the parts tend to cost less. MANs last many thousands of hours when properly maintained, but then again, so do CATs.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

thanks for all the inputs ... keep them coming !!!
  8. Swamp fox

Swamp fox Member

I don't know anything other than Mans are very expensive to fix....Just like everyone else has mentioned. I also know the engines as Man-grenades....
  9. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

I am in the middle of the second season on a pair of V10-1100CR MAN's, and other than a minor glitch involving a sensor, they have been flawless. (knock wood!!)
    To be fair, the "Man-grenade" tag developed from problems their engines had back in the late 80's, early 90's. I think they have done a lot to resolve those issues, I haven't heard much lately about problems like that.
  10. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Ricochet, are these an option on a new boat for you or are you stuck with them due to purchasing (or soon to be purchasing) a yacht? What type of vessel will they be in?
    I ran a 2002 61 Sunseeker with MAN's and other than blowing a lot of smoke on startup were pretty good (although they were shoe-horned into the ER). I took a maintenance class at the MAN dealer in Pompano (I think) and saw the common rail engine on a test bed. They started it for us and it was quiet, more fuel efficient and supposedly better mechanically.
    I did have the engine guys come in once a year to tune her up and get her ready for the trip up north. Pricey, but good blocks.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet New Member

Man 900cr

Capt Tom,
    It is a repower with MAN 900 common rails - have heard about gasket issues after 300+ hours resulting in oil loss and shutdown - (a) block to bell housing and (b) block to oil cooler due to insufficient periphery bolt(s). Just trying to assess the likelyhood of either of these occurring and the susceptability of MANs in general to this. All inputs from MAN based users would be most appreciated.

Thanks all
  12. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Man CR900's

I have these engines in my Cabo 43. Have been very pleased overall. Yes I did have a gasket blow between the engine oil cooler and the engine and it is a poor design problem. So far knock on wood the other engine has not had the problem. Other than that the engines have performed well. Maintenance cost is high since they require Delvac Mobil One oil which is $40 gallon and all Man replacement parts.