Click for Furuno Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking

Man 900HP issues

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Kellyarnie, Oct 7, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kellyarnie

Kellyarnie New Member

We are looking at buying a 2006 50' Post convertible that has 900hp Man engines (model D2848LE423). We already know about the issues with finding technicians and the cost of routine maintenance of the engines. My question is more towards any ongoing issues with these engines. Upon completion of the sea trial we found that there was glycol and copper in the starboard engine oil, seems like a cooler problem. The engines have 2700 hours on them. Are there any typical problems that people have been finding with these engines? What are your thoughts on these engines? Looking for any information on these engines and any issues that people have been having with these.
  2. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

A lot of quick fix "stop leak formula's" use copper flakes. I bet the cooling circuit is full of copper flakes.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have a customer with a 50' Post and Man's, it's a very good combo. Fast and fuel efficient. He has almost 5800 hours on these engines with no major issues. It sounds like you have a cooler issue. The question is, is there any damage from the coolant in the oil. How much coolant (PPM) is in the oil?
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Heat exchanger service is a must for these. Abused and overheated, the oil cooler goes next. Copper stop leak is a used car sales patch.
    Bad bearing wear will also show copper.
    With Glycol,,, sounds like trouble.

Send a coolant sample, hot and from a low test point, to a lab.
  5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I have Man CR900's in my 05 Cabo43. Owned the boat since 2008 and have had very few issues with the motors. They do require the servicing of the intercoolers and heat exchangers every 2-3 yrs or maybe more often depending on water conditions. Only major issue was the engine oil cooler gasket on all these engines was not well designed and blew out on most these engines before 500 hrs. I'm sure they have been replaced. Some gaskets were replaced (new style) under warranty most were not. Overall very satisfied with the engines. Cannot comment on copper flakes as haven't seen that before.