Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Furuno

MAN 1550 Chrome Valve Cover Pitting

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Octobriana, Mar 16, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Octobriana

Octobriana New Member

We have some pitting / corrosion on our MAN 1550 Chrome Valve Covers.

What is the best way to repair ?

Replace with new covers or re-plate the old units ?

What would be estimated cost for each scenario ?

Thank You !
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You can try polishing them with nevrdull which will take the green off and make them shiny. In the future you want to wipe them with nevrdull about monthly and wipe off (if you do it this often it takes a few minutes and not hours). Without seeing them it might be hard to determine. The pitting could be caused by poor metal underneath and a reaction between that and the chrome and replating them would cause the same results usually. Plating them will take about two weeks usually and do you want your boat un-usable for that period of time as well as the engine open. You may want to take one to a plater and see what their thoughts are and cost and compare to new......I'm not sure what Man valve covers go for, but it probably isn't cheap. Another option is to have the powder coated or painted white and do away with the chrome....
  3. Octobriana

Octobriana New Member

Thanks Captain !

I will try Nevrdull and speak to a plating company.

Have a Great Weekend !
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Octobriana

I have 820's and have one cover out of 20 that pitted - for the life of me I can't figure why, unless its just statistics.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The smaller chrome shops are drying up. The larger shops can not turn around fast enough. Re-plating is IMO short term anyway.
    We manage on a pair of V8-900 CRMs. Most of the rocker covers plating has failed. Next fall they get powder coated.
    There is only a few of these blocks up here in the Jax area. Was thinking of a consortium to invest into a set, paint/coat them and rotate them out to help reduce down time on the boats.
  6. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Had the same. One went all funky and pitted. No idea why.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've seen the same. I think it's a poor casting.....
  8. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

Maybe I can shed some light on your plating issues. I have been in the electroplating, anodizing, electropolishing industry for over 34 years. Your valve cover application is best served by powder coating. You can get PC that mimics stainless steel, polished chrome, polished gold and/or any color of the rainbow.

Plating on the other hand is especially tough on castings of any kind. The quality of any plating job is about 90% dependent on pre-cleaning of the part and the smoothness of the substrate. Chrome plating is actually a 'flash' or very thin coating of chrome over nickel and/or copper/nickel and then chrome. The thickness of the copper/nickel coating and its integrity is more important than the chrome itself which is only there to prevent the nickel from tarnishing and provide a shiny appearance.

Chrome is a well known and documented carcinogen. It has been all but outlawed in the EU. It is declining in popularity here because of its rising costs that are mainly associated with EPA issues.

No, my company does not do chrome plating and never has. No, we don't do powder coating. The cost of entry to powder coating on a large scale is large and the ROI is inversely proportional. To summarize: Find a good shop that does multi colors and get your metal parts (or wood) powder coated. The cost will be much less than chrome and will last far longer in our harsh marine environment.
  9. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Check with these folks if you want to get them re-plated. Melimar Finishing

They do beautiful work and will give you very honest advice as to whether it's worth doing on not.
  10. Octobriana

Octobriana New Member

Thank You All for your advice !

Victor