Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights

Maintaining a painted boat?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by ranger58sb, Jun 12, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

A candidate boat had some hull damage in Hurricane Sandy. No structural damage but a couple other boats laid against it for a two days. The repair place couldn't perfectly match the original gelcoat color... so the owner's insurance company paid to have the hull painted. The owner paid to have the topsides/bridge (including inside the bridge area) painted to match. Work done in 2013.

What does normal maintenance look like on a painted boat? More than just wash and wax? Any periodic "something else" that needs doing?

What's the fix in case of minor damage? Does it work to just repaint the boo-boo?

What if there's some significant damage, a more major hose-up?

Does it all need to be redone every X years?

And what other questions do I not know enough about to ask?

-Chris
  2. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

What was she painted with? What material? Do you have that information available?
  3. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Ummm... good point. Don't know. Not wanting to ask him further about it, just yet...

-Chris
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Depends on the paint and well the boat was prepped. Quality paint like Awlgrip, Imron etc is far superior to gelcoat. No more compounding faded gelcoat.

a good paint job can be good for 20 years or more. Hatteras always painted their boats, I ve seen 30 year old paint that looked like new
  5. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

So many variables. But just off the cuff with no information...you're right about the time (7 years) that you would be looking to fund a re-spray. Very likely was sprayed with Awlgrip, that's the likely product. But if Awlcraft it can be repaired. If original Awlgrip you have to paint an entire side (no blending). Time line on this is around 7 years, but depends on care/use and location/sun.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Depends on the paint entirely so ask. Awlgrip and Awlcraft you do NOT wax. They have an awlcare product you can wipe on and wipe off once or twice a year. It helps it last a little. Right now I manage a 62' yacht with Midnight Blue awlcraft on the hull that was sprayed in March 2014, it still looks perfect and I'll we've done is put Awlcare on it once a year. Both will go a very good 10 years IF you wash the boat with the Awlwash soap and do nothing else......and then I've seen them look pretty good from year 10-12 or even 14.

Alexseal I've also seen go also the same duration but it needs to be waxed 2-3 times a year, same with Imron which you don't see too much of these days.

My preference is Awlgrip topsides and Awlcraft on the hull. What you save in compounding and waxing, easily pays for the paint.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Are you saying paint only last 7 years?
  8. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Thanks, all, I appreciate the help... and I think I understand now what further info I'll need if we decide to pursue that one any further.

-Chris
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Also re-painting a hull is relatively cheap, compared to doing the superstructure. I would say 30-40% of the cost of doing the superstructure.