Click for Northern Lights Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko

Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, historic port town in Canada

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by brian eiland, Aug 9, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I have been fortunate to be invited to a friend's house in this port town of Lunenburg for a month this summer (escape the Florida summer heat). Perhaps some do not know of this delightful little area?
    [​IMG]

This UNESCO World Heritage Site – with its narrow streets and unique architecture – is also the home port of Nova Scotia’s sailing ambassador, the Bluenose II. The graceful ship is a replica of the original fishing boat that found fame as a racing schooner.

Wander Old Town Lunenburg’s distinctive waterfront with its colourful buildings and listen for salty tales of seafaring and rum-running. Discover what life is like on the open ocean when you visit the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic on the Lunenburg waterfront.

Old Town Lunenburg is one of only two urban communities in North America designated as a UNESCO World Heritage site. Seventy percent of the original colonial buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries continue to greet visitors with their colourful façades.

In Lunenburg, the past mingles with the present, and you can still see tall ships moored in the harbour and hear a blacksmith’s hammer in a waterfront warehouse

http://www.novascotia.com/explore/top-25/lunenburg
  2. brian eiland

another video about living here

I'll have some photos to add to this once I get some good angles and sun heights

Oh, and this coming weekend will be a visit by some of the 'tall ships' and a folk music festival
  3. brian eiland

another good video
  4. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I end up in Nova Scotia at least once literally every year... been to Lunenburg many times. I've got pics of the Bluenose II during it's rebuild as well. The shed was just a few blocks north of where she's berthed now. Also the Spirit of Canada IMOCA 60 was berthed there for a few years too.
  5. brian eiland

Sterling Hayden was involved with these fishing schooners that competed fiercely between Lunenburg and Gloucester for bragging rights on the Grand Banks. One of his books 'Wanderer' was an influence on my early entry into sailing. I mentioned it over on this subject thread,...

http://www.yachtforums.com/threads/motor-sailers-by-philip-rhodes-john-alden.6710/

https://goodmorninggloucester.wordpress.com/2011/06/22/did-you-know-sterling-hayden/
  6. brunick

brunick Senior Member

I've recently watched a series of short movies on youtube by the owner of fleming yachts. he've been there with a fleming 65.
    (Starts around 2 minutes into the video)

as i'm german, my first thought was, this town was probably founded or named by some german immigrant, as there is a town some 50km east of hamburg named "Lüneburg".
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Well, your first thought would be wrong.
  8. brunick

brunick Senior Member

yeah, i've figured that, was just reading the article on wikipedia, seems like it may have been named after a king of great britain, but i a much wider way it has something to do with the city

9. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

Hello Jannick, you might be interested that Lunenburg has something in common with our hometown Flensburg as it´s been the rum capital of the Nova Scotia region just like Flensburg was here over many decades... There´s a cool t-shirt from the Lunenburg Tourist Shops which says : Lunenburg - beautiful small drinking town with a fishing problem. :D

...interesting to find out there´s another member from Flensburg on this place. :)
  10. brian eiland

There are lots of German immigrants living in this Nova Scotia area as I understand it,....and their are at least 2 sauerkraut manufacturers near Lunenburg
  11. brunick

brunick Senior Member

@bernd1972: jep, been here quite a long time, last years mostly reading, not writing ;) (is that your ship on the picture? i've seen that quite a lot of times in the harbour)
    brian: it is quite a mystery to my, why someone likes sauerkraut so much :D

i think i should make a roadtrip, not starting in boston as i first supposed, but somewhere in nova scoatia then
  12. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

13. brian eiland

To tell the truth I'm not a big fan of sauerkraut either, except with port chops/pork roast sometimes.
    I like the German blue/red cabbage better.
  14. brian eiland

15. brian eiland

a few more DSCF1333.JPG DSCF1330.JPG DSCF1333.JPG DSCF1330.JPG

Attached Files:

16. brian eiland

DSCF1324.JPG DSCF1323.JPG DSCF1322.JPG DSCF1310.JPG the infamous Bluenose, and a few more 'not so tall ships'

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  17. brian eiland

a few more DSCF1307.JPG DSCF1306.JPG DSCF1252.JPG DSCF1251.JPG DSCF1249.JPG
  18. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Great stuff, I'll be in Halifax, NS beginning of September, love the area and St. John, NL as well.
  19. brian eiland

Thought I would add a few more pics of the harbor area taken from the golf course from across the way. Nice harbor
    Brian at Lunenburg Golf Course, ps.jpg DSCF1385, ps.jpg DSCF1387, ps.jpg DSCF1393, ps.jpg
  20. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Thanks Brian, great pics of a wonderful part of Canada.