Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander

Looking to Purchase 1990's Hatteras Motor Yacht with Detroit's

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by bayboater1, Apr 15, 2017.

1. bayboater1

bayboater1 New Member

I am looking to purchase a 65-75 ft. Hatteras Motor Yacht, 1990's vintage. Every one that I have looked at has Detroit's, either 12v92's or 12v71's. I have owned yachts with Cat's and Cummin's in the past but I have no experience with Detroit's.
    In talking with quite a few boaters it seems that 50% love them and 50% hate them! The haters say they are old antiques with parts becoming obsolete, leak oil, smokey, need overhauls every 2,000 hours and not fuel efficient. The lovers say they are tried and true with parts readily available and a great service network and if maintained like any diesel requires have a great engine life so I am totally confused. I also would appreciate comments on the DDEC engines. Should I stay away from these yachts because of these engines? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Either two stroke Detroit properly maintained will work well.
    12v71 rule. Any 92 is not as forgiving but can deliver more HP.
    I'm an ole Bertram fool and recommend 71s over 92s.
    Currently managing two ole Hatts with 12v71TAs (900 hp) & ZF clutches. Bomb proof.

DDECs are fun and when working, great. The cost of repairs and finding a good tech has been the demise to this upgrade.
    I'd keep it simple and avoid them.
  3. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Too many people hire the local friend who knows these detroits, yeah..or someone who knows someone who is really good on them and not expensive ..right..they are wonderful engines, specially the 71's, hire the pros to check them out and also to fix them, pays in the long run..I have a pair of 71's since 1991 and just luvem !!! my 2c
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree with these sentiments. I'm not a fan of the 92's and while the DDECs start and run good, they don't last nearly as long due to their HP output and being 92's. I haven't seen 92's make anymore HP than 71's after they get 500 hours on them.......not to mention most 92 owners run them around at 1800 rpms....so why even have larger engines. Yes, detroits are pigs......stinky exhaust, leak oil, a bit crude, a bit noisy, but they'll always pretty much run. If you run the Detroits at hull speed.....1000 rpms, they're a lot more fuel efficient than a 4 stroke diesel......up top at cruise, not so much.......If you want CATs, late 90's early 2000s had 3412s, a darn good motor.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yeah they're not 3412s but they are good motors and easy to maintain with plenty of parts.

Noisy? A little bit come on... nothing sounds like DD... they've got that delightful rumble!! Like a muscle car :)

There is a 1985 or 86 61' MY just across the pier from me thats for sale here in Miami. Wider beam (18'2) and the boat is in incredible shape. Worth a look if you re interested. I think they re asking around 275
  6. bayboater1

bayboater1 New Member

Thanks so much for your replies. Pascal, does the 61' have the aft deck? I like having that open area and most of the 90's vintage Hatteras do not have this aft area. I also just found an older 70 footer with C18 Cats. It is a 1977 but looks great. I have not talked with the owner/broker yet but just wondering what anyone's thoughts are on this yacht. I just love the look and style of this yacht, and most of the pre 2000 Hatteras'.

Thanks again!
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It has a small aft deck, big enough for a small table and chairs. The extra beam helps and it also makes for a very roomy flybridge. Also has an extra deep swim platform.

The 1977 must be a narrower beam, right? 2' extra beam is worth 10' of LOA
  8. bayboater1

bayboater1 New Member

It has a 18'7" beam so I am not sure what the difference is. What are your thoughts on the Cat C18's?
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Same beam then.. big plus!

No experience with the C18 but if as good as the larger 3412s I d take the most over DD
  10. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    I've run DDs for 50+ years and they are my favorite. I've been rebuilding my own engines since 1969. The 12v71 is more reliable and cheaper to overhaul than 92s. They are a mechanical engine that has no power requirements once started. There is no injector pump, no real bleeding of fuel. The basic 71 design has been around since the mid 1930s. Not only Detroit Diesel, but many other manufacturers make good replacement parts. All parts except big cast items are still being made. I believe the 471 (same sleeves, rings, pistons, and bearings) is still being made. 71s are used all over the world and in more applications than marine. Everthing on the engine pumps, etc., was designed to be rebuilt in the field. Good mechanics are best found in large ports or especially fishing ports. Also business that cater to oil fields. But there are many general marine mechanics, experienced in other brands, that think they know DDs. They are the source of many unhappy DD owners.
    Nothing against other brands. Cat makes great engines, but parts are high. Cummings are also good engines. I would stay away from engines that are computer controlled. Besides the electronics, you have many sensors, miles of wiring and are hostage to the OEM. There isn't room or time for all the electronic horror stories I have seen or heard.
    Ebay is a good source for spare pumps, etc.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Cat C18's are the most bulletproof engine Cat has made in the last 10 years. They're a geat motor, run very well, and very few problems. I don't think the 61' is a very fast boat, but with the C18's should be faster than it was with the DD's. The beam will help with ride.
  12. bayboater1

bayboater1 New Member

Thanks so much for everyone's replies. This has helped me not to run away from these engines and proceed in my search
  13. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

That would be a repowered boat, yes?

-Chris
  14. bayboater1

bayboater1 New Member

Chris,

Yes, it was re-powered in 2008,
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would be sprinting towards it. The C18's are GREAT motors and far superior in every aspect to the detroits.
  16. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    Until you start paying for parts.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

C18 parts are not that bad in price in all honesty. You're maintenance parts are comparable to detroits. The turbo's are actually cheaper because generally it's just the cartridge inside of them that needs to be replaced. I'd take a 9 year old engine over a 40 year old engine anyday. The C18's have a 10,000 hour service life.........
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I don't find cat parts to be that expensive... of course in almost 10 years /4000 hrs running 3412Es and now C32s the only things I ve had to do is impellers, 1 starter ($600), 1 fuel cooler ($1000) and 2 tranny coolers ($3000 each)

These are not expensive prices for big 1400hp+ motors
  19. g collis

g collis Member

I love my 1271's and you'll hear pros and cons on both 71's and 92's. Best advice, listen to Ralph Crapps. IMHO Ralph is the expert on the subject.