Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander

Looking to build a New 80 to 90 yacht.

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by netgain1, May 30, 2010.

1. netgain1

netgain1 New Member

Looking to building a new 75 to 90ft yacht starting this year.

Must have a elevator for my wife in a wheelchair and three staterooms for my family. Will be planning on having a Captain and crew on a full time basis.

Looking to cruise the Northwest Waters from Alaska to California.

Looking at Ocean Alexander, and other manufacturers, and recommendations for other yacht builders.

The power to be Cat c32 as per Yachtforums many comments, thank you.

Looking to spend 6 to 10 million on the completed yacht delivery in the next 18 months.

Netgain1
  2. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

Christiansen and Westport are on your side of the coast. Both build in composite. I don't know what your preference is as far as hull material though. Cheoy Lee makes a good boat too. You are just going to have to start looking at them in person to see if the quality meets your expectations. I don't think the elavator will be a big problem. Most yards that I've been around will find a way to do something if it's in the budget.
  3. atomare

atomare New Member

This is going to be a great project. Since of course aside the need for an elevator, the whole design of the yacht has to be usable and enjoyable with a wheelchair and without; which will lead to some unique solutions, I am sure. - Please keep us posted on your progress and good luck with your project.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would look for something very seaworthy and solid and slower moving. Nordhaven would be a great builder to check into IMO
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The OP stated his wife is in a wheelchair. A Nordhavn should be his LAST choice. You can barely move 10 feet in any direction without hitting a set of steps. A flush deck motoryacht would be the best choice.
  6. netgain1

netgain1 New Member

A flush floor without steps has been one major issue that is a must. Ocean Alexander is close but not perfect yet. Their new 88 sure is very nice looking.

Thanks for all the comments

Gordon
  7. CapLady

CapLady Senior Member

Dear Netgain1,

I would seriously look at Moonen. They can build a wonderful yacht with few stairs and I'm sure they can include an elevator. The 2005 Moonen 96 "Clemintine" was purchased by an older couple who I had met. They love the boat because it is so easy to get around on board.

They can build an 84' in steel as a displacement boat or an Alu with more speed.

I believe they could do an 84ish within 10m.
    Or, as a side idea, there is a 2005 84' available at the moment within your price range. I'm sure
    Moonen would be happy to make whatever modifications you might require.

Moonens are a dream, probably one of the best in it's size range today.
    If you need a Captain I'd be very willing to speak with you about it.
  8. Palmer

Palmer New Member

Nordlund might be a good choice. They can build a truly custom yacht from the keel up Ed Monk does the design and Tim Nolan the engineering, both of whom do the same for Ocean Alexander. The boats are attractive and well built. And Nordlund can do anything you want.
  9. YachtForums

I recall you recommending Nordlund in several previous threads. Matter of fact, six of your 16 posts are Nordlund related, so I must ask... what is your connection?

From my end, I've seen no follow through with Nordlund. I cannot - in good conscious - agree with you Palmer. When I recommend a builder, it is based on many factors. Topping that list is communication.

CapLady made a good recommendation. Moonen would be a good choice for custom, one-off specialty work, such as an elevator.
  10. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

There is a 37-ish meter Burger on the market that is wheelchair friendly. I don't know her price point off hand, however I want to think she is in the 12M range.
    Perhaps something to look at if you were in the market for a turn key type boat. Burger is certainly a respected builder. I viewed her at FLIBS last year and was pleased with her walk through.

Lady Gayle Marie is her name. Easily found in the brokerage listings. She's been on the market a while and (after a quick search) see that she's calling for 12M asking price. Don't know how motivated the sellers are, but it may be an option to consider.

I have some images of her from FLIBS. Please PM and I can upload them to a Google Album if you wish.

Good luck in your search-

~PB

**EDIT**
    I'm looking back through my notes, and it may not have been Lady Gayle Marie, but "Sis W" instead. However I don't see her in the brokerage listings, so don't know if she sold or not.
  11. YachtForums

12. Palmer

Palmer New Member

I used to work there. With very few exceptions I recommend all of my former affiliations.
  13. YachtForums

Fair enough.
  14. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

You may want to check out Ted Hood's expedition yacht designs. One of the main design points is limited stairs. Yes, you need stairs between full decks, but none of the up two down three sort of thing on each deck. Don't know about working in elevator or chair lift, but with a custom design...

He has designs from 66 to 125 feet. Here is a link for his 88 ft. model. http://www.tedhoodyachts.com/88-long-range-expedition-yacht

The 66 ft. model has been built and accepted by her owner.
  15. nilo

nilo Senior Member

Well I don't know how appropriate it is for me to comment on the subject, but indeed "Clemantine" was a wheel chair free boat, as the gentleman was using a wheel chair and he is still very happy with the boat.

The master cabin is on the main deck for easy use. Incorporation of an elevator in this design or an alternative design is something that the yard can look into from a technical perspective.
  16. netgain1

netgain1 New Member

Elevator options

Hi There

Thanks for the other idea, at present we are working with another yacht builder getting ready for the design of around a 85ft 22ft beam with an elevator option.

Will keep the forum up to date on how the plan is coming together.

Another person suggested having a marine architect come along side as a consultant regarding this project. At this point I trust the building organization and looking forward to the outcome and the fun of this coming together.

Thanks for all the great comments and thoughts
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Has this organisation built anything close to what you are looking for previously?

You may see the inclusion of someone to do an independent review of the Naval Architecture as an unnecessary expense - just think how much it will cost to re engineer the boat as a whole of the elevator doesn't work when there is less than 90% Fuel and water on-board owing to a massive trim calculation error.

You also need to get guarantees for the performance these guys offer.

Have a good Maritime Attorney do the build contract.
  18. netgain1

netgain1 New Member

Where do you find a good Maritime Attorney?????? in Seattle

Yachtforums have reviewed this company on 2 or three reviews, they are based in Canada and sound very knowledgeable.

They build from 50ft to 200ft of a very high luxury level of quality

Please expand upon the issue of having a light load and the boat stability issues.

Gordon
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The issue of light load and stability change is a complex one to put it mildly.

It would serve no constructive purpose to go into the whole scenario of damage stability with 10% reserve fluids. I am not even sure exactly what rules apply to a small composite boat in regard to this.

My suggestion was an attempt to make you aware that the elevator is one of the trickiest things to fit and operate successfully on a yacht.

Not many if any are able to be used in all conditions. Some have accelerometers fitted to disable them when motion exceeds the design parameters.

On a smaller vessel you do have the advantage of not traveling through so many decks as on a larger one.

If your elevator is installed in a tube (as most I am familiar with are) and your tankage is arranged so that when you start to consume fuel and water although water is not such a biggie as it can be made onboard in normal circumstances if the boat develops a head up aspect (the bow rises as fuel is burnt off) of a sufficient amount to make the lift car difficult to move up and down the shaft them you will have a problem. If the boat is head down when full you could well have the same problems. Like wise if the boat is not really stable at anchor you can also have problems as the boat rolls around.

The yard may well have built a number of vessels previously with a degree of success. If the project you are bringing to them has challenges that have never before been undertaken by that yard there should be some sort of oversight or due diligence to ensure that the calculations are going to closely match the finished product from someone who has experience in these matters.

As for finding a Maritime Lawyer in Seattle, you can start with Google

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...orneys+in+seattle&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

If no one on that list feels comfortable to work with PM me and I will ask a well known Seattle Designer I know for his recommendation and give this to you.
  20. YachtForums

Great post K1W1! Another option might be a stair-lift, like this...?

[​IMG]