Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for JetForums

Looking for sportfish

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Jeremyvmd, Dec 3, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jeremyvmd

Jeremyvmd Member

I’m looking for a GOOD post 42/43/46/50 on the east coast. Preferably between ct and the Carolinas (I’m in Nj). I’ve looked at several and two had fatal issues with motors on survey. Getting sick and tired of spending the money on surveys just to be disappointed. Doesn’t even need to be a post. Would consider hatt/Viking/Bertram/etc although I love the posts. Anyone know of anything?!
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Don't get frustrated. There are 13 50s for sale on another forum dedicate to sales only.

Why did you start another thread?

The 4 models of Post you listed have a wide and divergent range of characteristics and abilities. In some cases they are competeley different boats. You may want to define what you're looking for. What kind of boat are you coming out of?
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  3. Jeremyvmd

Jeremyvmd Member

I did find a pair of 43s. Both 89s one repowered with c7.1s but needs upgraded electronics, the other also supposedly has rebuilt 671ti’s but after this last rebuild fiasco (seller had all the documentation for them too) I’m less sure. The one with 671s has a new electronics package. I do like the 50s just don’t know if I’m trying for too much boat

started a new thread because the other one was about that specific boat and I figured the search for yet another boat to look at would get lost.

As for my boating history I’m coming from running a 36 Albin (dads boat) and just sold my 28 Albin (I have run several sportfish boats for friends, ranging up to a 44 henriques) . Looking for something I can cruise a bit. I do a fair bit of fishing (wrecks and offshore). Basically a fishing boat I can cruise. I’m leaning towards the 42/46 because it’s handleable as far as size is concerned and give me space to cruise but still go out and chase fish when the mood suits me. However I wouldn’t discount a 50 if the deal was right. I’m looking for a “final” boat. The one I’ll keep long term. Eventually I’d like to live on it full time but that might be a pipe dream for the next bit.

if I’m honest with myself the 50 is prob too much boat but hey we can dream right?
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 50' is by far the best riding and running Post of the sizes you mentioned. Upgraded electronics is just that.....not a necessity if what's there is working.
  5. RER

RER Senior Member

There are reasons a used boat can be purchased for as little as 10% of the price of a new boat. A 1990 50' sportfisher can be had for $200K. A new one can cost $2 million.

A turn key sportfisher in the brokerage market is the exception. And they become more rare as age gets older and price goes lower. Unless you buy near new at top dollar expect to buy a boat that’s going to need some dough spent on it to make it the boat you want.
  6. Jeremyvmd

Jeremyvmd Member

I realize I’m gonna have to spend some money to make it right but a motor claiming to have 200 hours smoh shouldnt need a rebuild!
  7. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Agreed but when you dismiss a good boat because the electronics aren't current. As J said electronics are upgrade items, they're not the "heart & soul" of the boat.
  8. Jeremyvmd

Jeremyvmd Member

Oh I’m definitely not discounting due to electronics! Every boat I’ve surveyed so far had major engine issues
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

First, let me point out the obvious. You're looking for a 30-40 year old boat, and SF tend to get run more and harder than any other type save maybe a center consol. Expect a good deal of fit and finish work to be needed along with some mechanical.
    Second, figure out the questions you need to ask before even going to view a boat. Even lies and half-truths can be illuminating. Emails and phone calls can save you a lot of wasted trips.
    Third, these days electronics are yesterday's technology within a couple of years. Look for electronics that are working and that you can live and work with till you can afford to upgrade to what you want. However also understand that things like upgraded electronics tell you things about how well or poorly a boat has been taken care of. A boat used for taking tourists chartering to the same honey hole every time has no need to upgrade. One that takes a family all over the east coast does.
    Fourth, it's a lot cheaper to hire an experienced captain than a surveyor to separate the wheat from the chafe. You could then hire a mechanic to check the motors. Once those 2 sign off on your choice bring in the surveyor. Yes in the end you'll have spent more examining the boat you buy but you'll have wasted a lot less on all you've walked away from.
    Fifth, expect those here and on other forums to pick apart your choice. In an older boat there'll always be a lot to pick apart, and our responsibility is to tell you why you should walk away. You don't need us, or whomever you have check out the boat to tell you the boat is great. But only you can determine what is worth it for you to accept. Some people are willing to rebuild from the keel up while others need new from the factory.
    Sixth, don't be in a hurry. You're coming off a summer when everybody and their brother bought a boat (seller's market) because there was nothing else to spend their vacation money on with relative safety. I for one expect a lot more inventory on the market and lower prices (buyer's market) as we approach next summer and families decide to do something else besides go out on a boat.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

With SF that will be very common. They're run hard and a lot. This is where learning how to qualify the boat through email and phone calls will come in handy. The question "Are there any mechanical issues that you know of?" answered in writing will save you a lot of wasted time. Most everybody will try to downplay issues, but they'll be hesitant to lie in writing. With serious problems they may try to ignore or talk around your question, but even that will be illuminating.
  11. Jeremyvmd

Jeremyvmd Member

I have eliminated a lot of boats that way. I felt this one was worth it because they provided written proof of engine rebuilds and was quite happy to tell me in writing that the engines and stuff were perfect. The boats I’ve looked at have passed the initial qualification process. I’m fairly decent at looking at boats. Been boating since I was 6 days old, and running and fixing boats since I was 11. Including almost a keel up mechanical rebuild on my last boat. Everything from small center consoles to mid sized sportfish.l and cruisers. I’ve also helped many people find the right boat for them. It’s harder when it’s for yourself because I’m picky (admittedly).

the reason for my question is often boats are for sale that aren’t listed or someone else knows of a good boat (or knows a boat is a disaster) which can save a lot of time and aggravation in looking and making calls

I’m just getting frustrated at the quality of what’s available. I think that the boat search is likely on pause till the spring. I do think I’m trying to rush things a little because this is the first time in my life where I didn’t own at least one boat. Sold off both of my old boats and both jet skis this past year because the market was strong and I wanted to move up. I’m willing to pay a little more for a boat in good mechanical shape. I guess it bothers me because if I owned any of these boats I looked at I would never let the mechanicals get to that point. Just the way I am, and I expect others to treat their boats the same. Plus any time I was selling a boat I spent more time telling the buyers about the bad than the good, because I wanted them to make an informed decision.

I am cautiously optimistic that the market will improve for me soon. But I don’t think it will be next year. I think the year after is when we will see a shift.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  12. Treads

Treads New Member

Jeremyvmd, I posted to your other thread about a 46 Post here in MD.
  13. BigChief

BigChief Member

Also do your homework on the gelcoat issues form 97 to mid 2000s, and the CORRECT way of how it should have repaired or painted if it was done.
  14. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

You may actually want to look for a boat that needs engines rebuilt. If you can find the boat you want, with engines you like but need major engine work that’s not necessarily a bad thing. As long as you can buy it right with engine work factored into the price why not? This way you get to do the work , with your mechanic of choice and then know exactly what you have. All the receipts and surveys will only tell you so much. By seeing the inside of those beasts yourself and rebuilding them correctly you get serious piece of mind.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Right now winter storage has been paid for so nobody's in a rush to sell. They also don't know where the market is going. I agree that late winter 2022 will be a much better buyer's market if you can hold off till then, but I think the trend will start this summer if people get comfortable living normal lives again. Right now you're in the same position as the people you sold your fleet to, buying in a seller's market.
    Good to here you're an ethical seller, but don't expect others to act that way. For one thing, even if they are they may simply not know their boats as well. For another a lot of people think they should be able to sell their boats for what they have in them because of the amount of money involved. It takes seeing people walk away for reality to set in. Many others think the seller's market will continue for another year and that they can hold out. Time will tell. Just remember that while the money is in your pocket the power resides completely with you. The moment you sign a contract it doesn't. So don't be in a rush. I'd certainly hold off until after Christmas (when people are spending money easily) passes and even until the new administration takes over and we get an idea where the economy will be headed.
  16. Beau

Beau Senior Member

FYI, handle my 50 single handed (my first mate is a bit incapacitated physically) in all but windiest conditions - but then we don't want to be out there. The 50 with 820's is the best boat Post ever built, IMO. Lotta good advice above about over expecting. Your looking at 30+ year old boats.
  17. Jeremyvmd

Jeremyvmd Member

I completely agree but from a few boats I talked to with bad motors they don’t want to negotiate on price to account for rebuilds and want top dollar for the boat. If your gonna sell a boat that needs major work your not gonna get top dollar unless you find a sucker/first time buyer. Anyone who has been around boats for any length of time is gonna know what rebuilds/repower costs.

I feel like I have reasonably realistic expectations (I realize I sounded like I want a perfect boat-not expecting that at all, more a boat priced appropriately for what it is). I know anything I buy will need some work. But if your talking a 20-30k per side rebuild that has to be taken into account. My last boat was priced 30k below market (and market was only about 45-50k). It needed a ton of work but was priced like a boat that needed a ton of work so I bought it anyway and did the work.

This most recent one is the most expensive 80s 46 on the market that I’ve found and when the stb motor was started it sounded like someone had a metal bucket full of wrenches they were shaking. Motor took almost two minutes to settle down and stop smoking. Port started perfectly and settled down in less than 30 seconds. Oil was coming out of dipstick under power. If that’s not a motor on it’s last legs I don’t know what is lol. I was fine with the moisture in the hull, the cockpit floor needing replacing/redoing, saloon floor needing to be redone, the peeling paint over the teak caprails and the other issues but the motor is a big one and fatal to the deal at asking price. At 60-80k ok I can rebuild a motor but didn’t want to negotiate further at that time. Hoping to hear back today with better news.

glad to hear about single handing a 50. I was worried about that. I end up being single handed most of the time even when there are others on the boat. I prefer a boat with second station down in the cockpit for that reason.

I do appreciate all the comments and opinions so far. Please keep them coming!
  18. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Yes, of course, if the cost of repair work is not considered by the seller then you have to walk away. On the other hand, if you are expecting the seller to offer credits so you can make the boat like new then that is unreasonable. Doesn't sound like that is what you are asking though.

My comments were based on experience. When I bought my 54' Donzi back in 2012 I used the best surveyors I could find. We even did a complete separate performance survey for just the 12v92 engines. Other than some minor issues the engines got a clean bill of health and the Port was very low hour SMOH. Two seasons later after less than 300 more hours the Port engine sucked a valve and destroyed a cylinder causing lots of damage. When we repaired it we found many issues that were not correct from the previous owner's rebuild. The surveyors did nothing wrong here as none of these issues could be discovered in a survey. My point is simply you never know what you really have and what others have done.
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's what happens when you buy in a seller's market. Why negotiate when there's more buyers than boats. Selling at the top of the market is great as long as you can wait for the market to cool before buying. Remember the old axiom is "Buy low, sell high" not 'Sell high, buy higher'.