Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service

Looking for info specific to hatteras 58 with 16v92

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Capt Butta, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Capt Butta

Capt Butta New Member

I am looking to move up from a 40' Viking to a 58' hatteras I have been spoiled running probably one of the least problematic boats in the gulf. It's power comes from a pair of 671na, sips fuel running 23 knots with over 4400 hours. The hatt I am looking at has 16v92's 1350hp. Anyone know much about the package. Fuel consumption at different speeds, maintenance requirements from lube to top rack, ect... Bottom line I can afford to buy the vessel, but can I afford to own and run the vessel.

Thanks to anyone who can help....
    Bob Page likes this.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Kiss fuel sipping goodbye.
    Make best friend directly with the owner of a fuel oil truck. Marry his daughter and take your new father-in-law fishing, allot.
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

Seller's can't give boats away with 16v92's. Their high fuel consumption and relatively short service life are from another place in time, long ago, when diesel cost 75 cents per gallon, an overhaul cost $1K per hole and people said hello to strangers and called their elders sir and ma'am.

And because they're in older boats that have seen a big drop in value - sportfishers in particular, now you have the odd configuration of low priced boats with big budget power plants.

That part about running one of the least problematic boats in the gulf will be a distant memory.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Orange Beach? Do some searches on old threads here at YF. (<2 years).
    16v92's in LA sound familiar.
  5. Capt Butta

Capt Butta New Member

I am understanding of what you have said, and agree. But are there possibilities of derating, cupping wheels to decrease fuel consumption the vessel is up on north east coast. I will do only blue water fishing and have had better luck with DD when it comes to raising fish. Looking to mostly run speeds of 8.5 to 13 knots.
  6. Capt Butta

Capt Butta New Member

That's what I am seeing and the vessel can be bought right and still leave room for a repower it's just I like harmonies of the Detroit's.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Your dreaming of ideas and excuses to buy the boat. You just don't walk up and de-rate a 92. You can just throttle back and watch the sheen of unloaded - unburned fuel float out the pipes.
    You may never see a return on re-powering. It takes horse power to move a big boat. If your just going to idle around, put a Honda 4 stroke on the back of her.
    Reality sux, but it's going to cost fuel and maintenance, OR re-power, fuel (maybe less) & and maintenance.

If your excited about a big, fast sport fisher, then go charter one, you'll come out ahead.

If your like most of us (boat junkie) and fell in love with her, You'll probable pick her up for a song. But reality has to be up front. You have the greatest engines in the world. They drink fuel and repairs cost money. I'm a 71 fan and couch dive, pick up coins in the parking lot and work hard to be able to run mine. I am a happy junkie.
    Bob Page likes this.
  8. Capt Butta

Capt Butta New Member

I am coming to that realization! Well possibly on to my second choice a 48 enclosed sport fisher with luggers...

Thank you for being brutally honest.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Get those engines (any engines) completely surveyed by a good shop.
    Stay out of my neighbors couches, their mine....
  10. Capt Butta

Capt Butta New Member

Could you recommend an engine surveyor in the Stuart, fl area... That is reputable and good!
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I do not know anybody that way any more. Maybe someone here at YF can help.
    I assume your needing a Lugger expert in Stuart?
  12. Capt Butta

Capt Butta New Member

Yes a definite Lugger expert...
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I wouldn't touch 16v92's with a 10' pole. Very expensive to run, very expensive to overhaul, short service life due to the two 8 cylinder engines not staying true when running and the extra long crankshaft. You could have smaller injectors and re-pitch the props and get slighter better fuel economy but not by much. It would help out a lot with sooting them up if you did that and were running your slow speeds of 8.5-13knots. Honestly though the 58' Hatteras doesn't have a good reputation for ride either, especially with a tower. They did various things on the chine to help them run straighter down the line, but I don't know when.

As for an engine surveyor, Gary Gillespie enginesurveyor dot com, is out of Palm Beach and is a good surveyor for Detroits. I would look at repowering the boat versus ever considering rebuilding those. At cruise you're probably looking at burning 150gph +.

Quite honestly, I think you're better off looking at a smaller jump in size such as a 53' Hatteras with 12v71TI's or maybe a newer boat with newer power...
    Bob Page likes this.
  14. Capt Butta

Capt Butta New Member

Capt J it is my conclusion that 1692s are not the way to go...
    Ty
  15. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I highly recommend Joe Stafford, Jack Dibella, Bruce Hicks, and Ron Doer. Each has their specialties. If you need phone #s, send PM. Stuart is almost a Lauderdale suburb for boats.
  16. Van Namer

Van Namer New Member

JWY,
    Could you give more info on the specialties for each of the engine surveyors you mentioned in your post?
    I am new to this site and looking for the same thing with MAN's