Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Mulder

Looking at buying a 43

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Djtalon dj, Jan 16, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Djtalon dj

Djtalon dj New Member

loing at buying an 1984 43 post. Can sonone give me details on ride , build quality ect... it has a full tower on it. 671 485hp. Low hours, hardly used in past 3 years. Maybe 30 hours. I heard lotta horror stories on fillowinv seas. I am coming from a 32 albemarle convertable.

Thx
  2. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

I have owned mine for 13 years. Still love it. Not sure if you are looking at the one shown in YW in Greenport. Those engines are 450 hp which is a bit better for longevity. I don't believe Detroit built 485hp until a few years later. The ride is going to be different than your deep V Albemarle for sure. This topic has been covered so many times in various posts here asking against Bertrams or Vikings. Same with following sea handling. Spend some time searching and reading if you can.

Build quality - the hull is not cored so no worries about water in it other than maybe some blisters. The main stringers are fiberglass so no rot. The cross stringers are glassed over wood. Always possible to have one that has gotten wet over time. You may find a wet core topsides under the side salon windows, where the bridge fastens to the house, by the pulpit. No different than any other 30+ year old boat where something has been drilled\screwed into it. I think the build quality is just as good or better than its competitors at the time.

It really depends how you are going to use the boat. If you fish no matter what the weather is and bash into big seas, stay with a deep V and lots of HP\expense to move it. If you boat during realistic weather and want an all around pretty economical, comfortable, lots of storage to live on boat, it is a top contender for an 80's sportfish.
  3. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Great contribution for someone coming into the forum and new to a Post.
  4. porthole

porthole Member

I'd say mwwhit's description pretty much covers the 42 and 46 early boats as well.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Remember; Post kids are cool, 71s rule.
    Grab that Post and keep us up on your projects and adventures.

Sadly, I am not a Post owner.
    I am a great fan of the owners and their ships here at YF.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Honestly, I think I'd shy away from a 43' with a tuna tower. I think the ride in a following sea may scare the heck out of you.
  7. OutPost

OutPost Member

So far I have found the following sea concerns overblown but perhaps I just haven't been caught yet in nasty enough conditions.

Underpowered 70s 42.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Add a Tuna tower to a 43' boat with funky handling characteristics to start with and you are in for a treat.
  9. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

The 43 Post is a capable, proven, and well built hull.
    The 43 is a desirable and sought after upgrade from the earlier 42.
    The Post market appears strong with plenty of movement.

Like all hull designs, it does have advantages and disadvantages.
    Notably, it has minimal deadrise which requires considerably less power than similar SF hulls with significant deadrise.
    The minimal deadrise also contributes to bow steer in following sea conditions.
    The bow seer can be compensated for with rudder upgrades and keeping weight off the bow and emptying the forward fuel tank first.
    Similar size SFs with significant deadrise do handle better in a following sea but the compromise is usually considerable side to side rocking at low/trolling speed and at anchor.
    You cannot do much to counter the rocking on a boat with significantly more deadrise.