Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder

Living the Waiting Life of a Deckhand

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by DevSol, Sep 27, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DevSol

DevSol New Member

Hi all,

Im sitting at my crew house in Fort Lauderdale about to head down 17th to check-in at some crew agencies. This is my first season in the industry and I'm hoping to get on board a yacht for at least the next year as a deckhand. I've been in Fort Lauderdale for almost 2 months and I'm quite prepared to wait another 6 months if it should take that.

I've signed up to all the major crew agencies, and I've had some daywork, but nothing so far has turned into a permanent position, and I have the common sense to know that crew agencies will put their experienced candidates before a "fresh" one.

Since I cannot dockwalk on a B1/B2, I understand that networking and socializing is my greatest asset, which is no problem as I am naturally good at it, but I find myself at the crew houses and bars surrounded by people in a similar position to me.

Seeing the level of experience on this forum, I'm hoping I can get some advice.

Where else can I look? What else should I do? In your experience are their any secrets or is it purely a waiting game?

I have posted my resume up at: www.devonsolomon.us

Any advice, critique on the resume or opportunity would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Devon.
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

There is no law against walking down the docks to admire pretty white boats and engage in friendly conversations with crewmembers. If something good comes out of making friends, so much the better.
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

If you have not already, make a card with your details and a photo to hand out when you are dockwalking. Then it is easier to remember you when they may need you.
  4. DevSol

DevSol New Member

Now that you mention it that way... :p
  5. DevSol

DevSol New Member

Thank you so much AMG!
  6. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Facebook

Well. I would recommend that you take the top-right two photos off your resume as they appear that you're drinking and then drunk (even if you're not, they give the impression).
    Since I happen to have an open position for 2 months of daywork, those photos lead me to have a 5 minute snoop around Facebook. If you are the Devon Solomon who recently went climbing in Puerto Rico (I'm assuming it's you because you went climbing for your birthday, which happens to be the day before the date on your resume) then I would advise you to lock your Facebook down or remove the photos of your Bong!

Best of luck...
  7. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

+1 Actually IMHO the only photos close to appropriate for a resume are the first two.

If I were going to use photos on my resume I would take some with a high rez camera with you in a uniform in an appropriate setting like in your first photo where you are in the front of a yacht. I would not include other people in "your" photos unless again it was in a work setting such as a group picture of your and the rest of a crew. You are selling youself not your buddies or GF.

I would also go for a clean shaven look in your photos as well as for the job hunting, deck walking, process. While the scruffy look may be sexy it is really not a "professional" look that says hire me now I am ready to move up in your organization.

Once you have a position then you can go with whatever "look" your yacht prefers.

Remember, people form an impression of you within seconds of seeing you so the first visual impression is incredibly important no matter what you say on your resume or even what comes out of your mouth. If you look "better" than the competition then you move to the top of the list.

Good luck!!!