Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay

Licensed/Small vessel exp/Career focused…what next?

Discussion in 'Yacht Crews' started by ItchyFeet, Nov 3, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ItchyFeet

ItchyFeet New Member

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been in private service for around 12 years now. I'm 32 years old, single, athletic, and well traveled.

Short version, I spent a winter and a summer on a 52' sailing yacht as mate to begin my career. The owners took me out to Colorado the next winter to their new estate that was completing construction. I went back east the following summer. At the end of the summer I joined a new 200' Feadship. I was with them for 8 months (now 22 years old) when the previous owner of the sailing yacht offered me to be the captain of the sail boat and manager of the estate. Traveling seasonally between both. The money was more than I could imagine, the benefits were incredible, and for the next 9 years it was my life. Estate was 100 acres, 3 buildings, 4 staff valued at aprox $45m.

For personal reasons I decided to leave after 9 years. I thought I would focus my career on estates, and luxury properties, but the siren song of the ocean drew me back. I can't say the agencies welcomed me with open arms, and I can't blame them. Luckily the first captain I worked for was doing a refit on an 85' trawler and it gave me the opportunity to be in Miami for the winter. (2014/15) I was fortunate enough during that time to meet a gentleman with a 65' powerboat who was in need of a Captain. I joined the boat in New England for May - Sept. He uses a transport ship to move the boat in between locations. (S. FL winter)

During the summer the boat was his floating condo. During the winter the boat is floating AT his condo. In almost six months I have had exactly 10 days off the dock with this boat. MAYBE there will be another 10 this winter, but I think closer to 6 from past log entries. It was the perpetual sale of "I really plan to use the boat a lot more this year."

I'm a dock captain, and I'm going absolutely crazy. My plan is to complete 1 year with the current owner in order to show longevity, get his reference (he loves me and it will be excellent) and do as many courses as possible.

I really desire to progress my career, and I'm motivated to do so. My licenses however reflect the time I've spent on smaller vessels. Luckily I've had enough time helping do deliveries over the years, that I'll be upgrading to USCG 200/500 by the end of the year.

Current licenses: USCG STCW 50ton master / mate 100 / AB-special / RFPNW ; MCA Yachtmaster Offshore Commercial

Scheduled upgrades and courses: USCG 200GRT/500GT Master/Mate ; Advanced Spanish Speaking

Ideas for courses: MCA working towards OOW; AEC, HELM, GMDSS (I don't think I can take the time for Radar/Nav as it's 3 weeks)

Questions: What position should I be looking for to be on a bigger boat? I think I want to be on 150'+. Mate, second, bosun?? I will have the qualifications that I'm seeing a lot of the job boards post, but will anyone even LOOK at me without the big tonnage time?

I really want to be "in the wheel house" and learn/experience the management, but I don't mind using my vast hands on skills with paint, varnish, engineering, etc to get/keep a position. Heck…I'm even good on the interior stuff, and silver service.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated…any anyone you know looking for someone like me in May/June '16…I'll be at the show next week!
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015