Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay

Lets see your boat/yacht & tell us about you.

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CTdave, Mar 25, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Hello all!
    I don't see that anyone has done this yet so how about posting some pics. of your nautical toys.

I'll start.
    Here is my 42' Post. She is an oldie but a goodie! I bought it in 2001.
    I am based in Greenwich CT but run the boat down to Stuart FL in the winter.
    I grew up on my dads sport fishing boats and have been on the water all my life.
    I took a (slight) detour in boating styles and ran with the "go fast" bunch for several years but now I'm back.
    I have to get a few more pics of the Post on my computer but here is a decent shot.

Attached Files:

2. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Another shot. From the deck of my friends "toy"

Attached Files:

3. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Off the SC Coast last fall

Attached Files:

4. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

My alter ego in my past life. I retired from offshore racing two years ago when my boy was born.

Attached Files:

5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hi Dave,

That's a pretty Post, but I have to admit... I like the Outerlimits you're racing in the Factory 2 class better!;)

Let's see... your Post is a 42'. I'm guessing the OL is the same?

Carl
  6. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Carl
    The Outerlimits is a 37' Stiletto. It is (now) the older style hull with two steps.
    OL came out with the quad step design a year or so ago.
    They also moved their factory to a state of the art facility and have just come out with the new epoxy lay up. Much lighter/stronger.
    They just ran a new epoxy 42' 161mph last month & I hear Reggie Fountain is in the process of trying to top that.
    It should get interesting for the performance gang!

Dave
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  7. YachtForums

Hi Dave,

I should've known your Outerlimits was a 37', as the 42' might be a little on the large side to compete in Factory 2 with OEM horsepower. I simply forgot they produced a 37', as I've been away from performance boating circuit for awhile.

I've never met Paul Fiore's son, but had a great deal of respect for the father with his Hustler line. If I am correct, Paul and his son are now partners in Outerlimits. He truly was one of the original innovators in Big Deep V's, i.e. the first to incorporate stepped bottom hulls (no matter what Reggie Fountain claims!).

I met Paul at a couple of Boat Shows and a few boat races over the years, way back when I was into boating without staterooms and heads.;)

One of these days, I'll get a scanner and post some pics of my Skaters. I've had a 24' and a 28', both with EFI's. Currently, I've got a Powerplay.

Nice to see another performance boater on YachtForums!
  8. John B

John B Senior Member

Dave looks like your from my neck of the woods.

I grew up in Port Jefferson (live in Westchester now) and have been boating since I was 15. In my younger days I was much more into water skiing than fishing. My friends and I would slip out of high school and spend a day water skiing. I didn't know how good I had it then as I used to go skiing with friends four to five days a week in the summers.

Below is a pic of my Azimut 68 Plus. Still not doing much fishing, but definitely like to entertain guests!

If you get Fuel from Vinny in Stamford CT you'll see my boat just before the flood gate.

We do most of our local boating in Cold Spring Harbor, Port Jeff and Watch Hill. Longer ventures are up around Cape Cod, Nantucket, Mystic - great place for the kids. Gotta check out Block Island and some other places this summer.

Next winter we'll be keeping our boat in Ft' Laudedale at Bahia Mar. I'll see if I can't offer Carl a cold libation when the boat is there next winter.

There are some more pics of my boat in the azimut folder.

Attached Files:

9. John B

John B Senior Member

Dave, what are your favorite destinations way up North here?

Here's a picture from last summer taken when we were at Danford's in Port Jefferson from my fly bridge. You can see the PJ ferry heading out.

Attached Files:

10. John B

John B Senior Member

Definitely like your go fast boat! Looks like a major rush.

I also was into going fast, but on land. I used to do open road racing which are high speed events on closed sections of public highway out in places like Nevada. These were typically 90-120 miles in length.

I worked my way to the unlimited class and my car as you see it here could hit top speeds of 205 MPH.

Just like you, having children kind of put a damper on doing stuff like this - at least for now. Racing eats up unbelievable amounts of time, as I am sure you know.

Attached Files:

11. YachtForums

Hi John!

Drinks sound great! We'll call it the first annual YachtForums regatta. We keep the boat across the intracoastal from Bahia Mar, just north of Las Olas. I grew up at Bahia Mar. Actually, that's not entirely true.... I never grew up!

Look forward to meeting you... and checking out that sound system too! Sooo... come on down!

Carl
  12. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

All right, That's what I'm talking about. Keep em coming guys!

John, yes we have probably crossed paths before. I keep my Post at Riverside Yacht Club in the summer. My local weekend day spots include Northport, Cold Spring, Oyster Bay, the Sand Hole (all in NY) and very local spots are Shell Is. in Greenwich and Old Greenwich Harbor.
    Weekend & three/four day runs are Sag Harbor, Block Is. Montaulk, Newport etc....
    Sounds like you have the same need for speed. Though I haven't been behind the wheel, a friend (the same one with the "big toy" that I was tied up to in one of the pics.) owns a Ferrari 512 LeMons & I watch him race often.
    Stay in touch & although I fish occasionally, I too am more into entertaining on board. Let's get the blenders going!!!!!!!!!!
    Dave
  13. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Carl
    Since getting out of racing, I've been thinking about picking up a 28 Skater for a little rush from time to time. FUN boats for sure!
    The fastest I've been on the water was on Stuart Hayims 46' Skater (with 1200hp Sterlings) "Recovery" in a poker run out of LaMottas in NY.
    We ran 152mph & there was alot more left. Stuart kept looking at us & on the intercom was asking......"are we ok??"
    We were "ok" bit without the wheel or throttles in my hand, I was a bit nervous. It was a good time none the less.........

Mike F is a great guy and I was soooo glad to see Paul finally join him. They truly put together the finest offshore boat built!
    They stand behind their product 110%
    If the magazine ever would be interested in a sea trial/boat test, I'd gladly talk to mike & (hopefully) get behind the wheel again.
    We won quite a few checkered flags in the past few years.
    Dave
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  14. YachtForums

This is the mother ship. A 1982 72' Broward. The picture's a little fuzzy as it was scanned on some old hardware. I'll take some digital pics in a few days.

Attached Files:

15. YachtForums

Before going big, I was going FAST. Here's my Skater. It was hull #6 out of the mold from Peter Hledin.

Attached Files:

16. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

LOL yeah, I hate when I run out of those razors (usually once a year while delivering my boat to/from FL) but I guess my liver probably looks worse around that time.
    Nice boats Carl! You defenately have the "go fast itch" like me but you have a much nicer mother ship! I LOVE those 72' Browards! What a beautiful, classic Yacht! I can't recall the name but right after school, I was running yachts & applied for a job on a 72. I didn't get it but landed on a Hatt for a while. Yes folks, some go fasters actually do have 100 ton Master licences (for those who hate the fast types).
    Carl, would you happen to know Rich Luhrs? He has a very long history in design, building & racing with all types of cats. He is very involver with "Skaterfest", held in NJ every spring.
    Talk to ya soon!
    Dave
  17. YachtForums

Hey Dave!

I've never met Rich Luhrs, but I know who T2X is!;) Skaterfest would be a blast. Hope to attend it one day!
  18. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Ah hah! T2X!! I'm DJD on OSO. You must know T2X from there?
  19. YachtForums

Actually, I know T2X from S&F, but I'm familiar with OSO. I used Steve Shuble's Cigarette for a heli-pad one day. I heard he put the pics on the site.

Love to have some OSO'rs on YachtForums, but one day, just like you & me... they'll slow down!:D

Carl
  20. psdo

psdo Senior Member

my toys

Well here's the toy I'm going to be playing on in a day or two.
    Just sitting here waiting for the limo to go the airport. Heading down to St.Maarten for a week. This is my friend's 46' Buzzi Nitro with 3x500 hps. Had it all rebuilt by Tres Martin in Ft. Lauderdale.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.