Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Walker

Learning on your own...

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by Jabor, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Jabor

Jabor Member

Hey guys

I'm a Transportation Design student who's been doing cars so far, but I really wanna get into yacht design.

Problem is: I can't find a book that would give the basics on Naval Archiecture, Motor and Sail Yacht designs. I wanna know the difference between displacement and semi-displacement yachts, principles on proportions and basics about interior layouts. How do I package a yacht? How big are engines and propellers? How much they weight and how does this affect performance? Hull shapes, bow angles, build materials, and so forth.

I am considering a Yacht Design maters in the future, but my education is already costing me a lot of money so far and that is out of my plans for now. Besides, I wanna try some stuff while still in school.

So, any suggestions on books/websites/magazines that I can learn all that from???

Thanks a lot! Great forum this!:)
  2. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Being that you're a student, I'd probably start with a quick search through the University Library catalog. I'm guessing they'll have something to get you started. Next to that, some google searches might turn up some points of interest and or some other reference material which could be of value.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Click on the SEARCH button above and type Yacht Design into the Key Word. The results will keep you busy for quite awhile. You'll get everything from brillience to the absurd. It's a good place to start. Good luck.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Good Idea NYCAP- Just remember to change the drop down menu to search thread titles only or you will get every post with those words in it somewhere.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Actually I'd go for posts as well since a lot of the thread titles on the subject won't have those key words in the title. Most of the threads he hits with that will be easy enough to figure out their relevance, but I wouldn't want him to come up short. Better extra info since he's learning.
  6. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Duhhhh...
    Can I not look like a fool and edit my thread?

"Search Yacht Forums of course!!"
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don't you just hate looking back in the morning at your 'brilliance' from the late night before.:D
  8. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

And if each of those were as simple as an "Edit" button, boy, I tell ya, I'd be home free on East Street!
  9. JMartel

JMartel New Member

I'm a long time lurker on yachtforums, but I'm currently in the Ocean Engineering and Aerospace Engineering programs at Virginia Tech.

First, get a student membership to SNAME, and then buy the Principles of Naval Architecture 3 volume series. It will go over things like stability, strength, resistance, propulsion, vibration, and how the boats/ships will behave in waves. Another good book for structural design is written by my professor here, called Ship Structural Design by Owen Hughes. In my Naval Architecture class that I took last year, we used the book Applied Naval Architecture by Zubaly and it is very useful, relevant, and actually a good read.

Between those books, you should be pretty well off for the majority of what you asked about.
  10. Jabor

Jabor Member

Thanks to everybody that replied! It helped a lot!
  11. sailandfish

sailandfish Member

If you find the above mentioned books too expensive, and hard to read and comprehend try getting skenes element of yacht design, its an old book, but excellent and fairly easy to understand if you looking to get the basics.
  12. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Darn, you beat me to it.

Skenes will give a great foundation, though I would also study the classics.

Phil Rhodes, Herreshoff, Charles Nicholson, Milne, Fife, Carlo Riva.

They all designed beautiful boats where not one part was a straight line. That takes skill and a good eye.