Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

| Palmer Johnson | PJ120 | "IZUMI" | 2008 |

Discussion in 'Palmer Johnson Yacht' started by bnk190, May 17, 2008.

1. bnk190

bnk190 Member

Wednesday night we arrived in Sturgeon Bay WI and drove past PJ and Bay Ship. Not a lot of action seen at PJ since all of the doors were closed. When we drove by Bay Ship we noticed a new PJ yacht sitting under the crane. The next morning my mission was to find when it would be launched however I didn't havet to try that hard. Around 6:00 am I went to Bay Ship and noticed that IZUMI was already in the sling and was being moved to the water. I had always wanted to see one launched so this was a dream come true.

Attached Files:

2. bnk190

bnk190 Member

How would you like to have the view from the crane?

Attached Files:

3. bnk190

bnk190 Member

Close up of the straps and also the props

Attached Files:

4. bnk190

bnk190 Member

I couldn't figure out what is hanging from the bottom of the straps. For a moment I thought they were using straps that were worn out and tearing but that wouldn't make sense.

Attached Files:

5. bnk190

bnk190 Member

I'm not sure how to get a space between the pictures so I will post 1 at a time.

Here is more of a stern view.

Attached Files:

6. bnk190

bnk190 Member

Once they cleared the dry dock area and were over open water they spun Izumi so she was sidways up against the edge of the dry dock.

Attached Files:

7. bnk190

bnk190 Member

Now spun all the way and being lowered to the water.

Attached Files:

8. bnk190

bnk190 Member

She is now in the water, no tension on the straps and they are removing the straps. Sorry for the bad view but this was the best I could do. My launch invite must of been lost in the mail to get up close for the photos. :D

Attached Files:

9. bnk190

bnk190 Member

Last photo for now due to have to go to B-day party but once she was free from the straps the tugs came to pull her back to the dock area.

Attached Files:

10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The stuff hanging off the strops looks like plastic sheeting sometimes used to reduce the friction of the strop material against the antifouling and to reduce antifouling fouling of the strops.
  11. bnk190

bnk190 Member

Being pulled out from the dry dock wall.

Attached Files:

12. bnk190

bnk190 Member

Cleared from the dock

Attached Files:

13. bnk190

bnk190 Member

Tied up to the dock. I should have followed it through the bridge since they had some fun turning the yacht around. Shortly after the bridge in the picture above there is a new bridge being built that can't be raised since it's under construction.

I also noticed they put out some type of oil boom. Is this normal? It was gone the next day.

Attached Files:

14. bnk190

bnk190 Member

The start of the cleaning

Attached Files:

15. bnk190

bnk190 Member

The last picture. Hope you enjoyed them.

Attached Files:

16. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

So this is PJ135 number three, Izumi. Others in the class are Dragon and Waverunner. Thanks for the photo documentation of the launch of the Izumi bk190.
  17. bnk190

bnk190 Member

There will be a fourth since when I was at PJ they had moved a top section and bottom section out of the building. Not sure what they were doing and I didn't want to ask too many questions. They just said it was the same size as Izumi.

Does anyone know the last yacht that PJ just launched? My inlaws have a place in Sturgeon Bay and they stated there was a new yacht that was at the dock about a week ago. When I called PJ on Monday they stated it was leaving on Monday. I have no other information on it.

Here are the pics of the new one being built.

Attached Files:

18. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

Is it really the same size as Dragon? When I was onboard Dragon, it seemed much larger (aft deck, transom, walk around side decks, flybridge, etc.)
  19. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

The last yacht that was launched by Palmer Johnson that I know about was the Four JACKS, the third in the 150 foot series. The new 150 foot Vanquish is next.

Regarding Izumi I think you all are right, she does look like a 120 foot Cover Drive/Birgitta class. Dragon and Waverunner have a mast on the fly where as Izumi does not.
  20. coismov

coismov Member

IZUMI must be another 120, look at the forward location of the three round windows. On the 135 they are further aft.