Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

Land Trip Chicago to Naples

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by bliss, Oct 17, 2017.

1. bliss

bliss Senior Member

I turn to YachtForums because my perception is that I will get answers from a knowledgeable group.
    Every year I drive from Chicago to Naples, FL arriving on March 1st. The usual route is Chicago to Murfreesboro TN, to Ocala then on to Naples. A reasonably leisurely 2 and 1/2 days drive. I used to do it in two days; but the years are catching up. So much so that my wife will fly to Fort Myers, FL and I'll pick her up and continue on to Naples. So I would like to play tourist for a couple of days. I have in the past gone straight down #65 to #10 and over to #75 but usually take #57 to #24 to #75. This time I will have 4 or 5 days travel time. But what to do, or see or eat???? I usually stop at Hampton Inns or comparable. As I will be alone that is not so important. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Well, my answer is going to be water oriented. First stop would be Nashville. I'd explore all the music scene there and check out the Cumberland River. Plenty of excellent restaurants and entertainment on every block. Obviously, the Gaylord complex is huge and, if possible, everyone should see the Grand Ole Opry one time.

Next stop Chattanooga. One of the most beautiful cities you can find. Depending on when you're arriving you might even take a cruise on the local cruise boat down the river and see the beauty of the Grand Canyon of the east. The Chattanooga Riverfront is great. And the Aquarium a don't miss site to see. Also, the Choo Choo. It's lost some of it's luster but still worth a stop. Supposedly they've done some renovation, but we haven't checked the hotel there out. You could stay in a Pullman Train Car.

Those two cities are where I'd spend my time. After Chattanooga, if you want the big city, you have Atlanta, but I'd take the loop around it and keep going. Now, you could insert a stop between Nashville and Chattanooga, very much out of your way, but Knoxville is nice. Dollywood not far from it but might not be your taste.

One other thing to do from Chattanooga. Take a day trip to the NC mountains and some of the streams and beauty there.

So, post Atlanta, unless you're detouring to Disney, my next stop would be the Tampa Bay area. Nice places to go all along the coast, but I figure you've seen most of it. The area I figure you may not have fully appreciated is Tennessee. If I was going to live elsewhere in the US it would be on the TN River. Still not moving there though, Fort Lauderdale is Paradise.
  3. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

We lived in Nashville for 35 years; agree with Olderboater 100%
  4. bliss

bliss Senior Member

Thanks for the very informative reply!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2017