Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service

Koehler generator

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Jnicholas, Aug 14, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

I have a 13 k Koehler generator on my 2000 carver 450 voyager

I found today a kit that came with the boat buried in the bilge. It has inside a couple of impellers and oil filters. First question is impellers feel pliable do you think they are ok to use if they are several years old.

second question is the same for oil filters. Still sealed but several years old. Still ok to use?
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Define “several” ... 5 to 10 years should be ok. Make sure the impellers aren’t brittle.
  3. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

And no hairline cracks in them
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, oil filters should be good almost forever as long as there's no corrossion inside of them. Impellors if they feel pliable and have no cracking, should store 5-10 years.
  5. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

impellers were flexible, and no cracks. Not sure of age but guessing under 10. Filters are of the same design I am using now. Only one appears older and is in a unpainted canister.

Many years ago I had a cheap filter fail, and send a small piece of cardboard through the over head cam tower on a 280Z. Big mess to fix. Just don't want to be such a cheap skate if filters could have gone bad from just sitting in the boat.
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Filters are cheap. In doubt, throw it out.