Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights

| Kleven | 116M | "Multiverse" ex. "Ulysses"/ U116 | 2017/23 |

Discussion in 'Unique, Custom or New Yachts' started by Rene GER, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

Ulysses in the Bahamas

2. Gage Rowden

Gage Rowden Active Member

One of my favorites.
  3. KiwiRob

KiwiRob New Member

I think we might have an answer to that question, there is a third MT expedition yacht in build at Freire in Spain, NB-724. It's fun to speculate.
  4. Urbsey

Urbsey Member

Ulysses and Andromeda were sold faaaaar back in the days. Andromeda in Q3 '17 and Ulysses in Q2 '19 if I can recall right. And both of them were sold to the same new owner. Quality is, in my limited experience, quite poor, compared to more reputable German and Dutch yacht builders.

Oh, and BTW they have/had a problem. Don't know how big, but something is wrong with intact and damaged stability of that vessel. Even in 2020 it was a (a bit quiet) problem, but at the end of 2021 it was also noted by their Classification Society DNV. Take a look under 'Conditions'. That Princess on the bow is quite high above the waterline and might also be one part of a problem. It's 45+ ton boat after all. VanDutches aren't really making anything good for it too.
    In September of 2022 they had a collision at anchor with M/V Charles Island in Panama. Under 'Conditions' above you can see that they had to go for repairs in Tampa, Florida. That's why they are there at the moment. Dry dock for sure, but it might also be in a shed.
  5. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Yes I remember that incident.
  6. KiwiRob

KiwiRob New Member

In the IMO register Ulysses is still owned by Felham Enterprises, a lot of people are saying she has been sold but ownership at least according to IMO hasn't changed.

Scratch that she's now owned by Dawn Redwood Investments Ltd.
  7. Urbsey

Urbsey Member

[​IMG]
    Felham Enterprises was the owner company from beneficial owner Mr. GH, yes. Also note when M/Y Here Comes the Sun changed hands. Hint: it was in Q4 '19, ownership changed to Ulysses II Ltd., management to Manta Maritime (Andromeda and Ulysses are still managed by them 'till this day). M/Y Here Comes the Sun also got a support vessel named U-81 last year. U-81 is owned by Ulysses IV Ltd. and managed by Manta Maritime.;)
    Pinstripe and Maritna_ra like this.
  8. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

I don't know why but I'm so fascinated by these things. Owning things through a myriad of companies.
    You 'own' yachts, mansions but...you are not the owner, just a beneficiary...sometimes an unknown or accidental beneficiary.
    Why they don't teach these things at school?!
  9. leeky

leeky Senior Member

It might be considered unscrupulous behavior. So, how do you teach it without offending very powerful people who don't want their secrets known? It's an unspoken rule here on YF not to reveal the owners of superyachts unless that info is in the public domain.
  10. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Dear Madam,

Not all owners of larger yachts are hiding their ownership for tax avoidance or other unmoral reasons. Grounds for liability are one very important reason to have a limited enterprise set in between the owner and the yacht. The risk to have a larger yacht registered and insured directly on your name is far to dangerous for the owner, especially in Europe. The smallest accident caused by Your crew or any enviromental damage caused by Your yacht can easily clear the deepest pocket. My 210 ft full displacement yacht for example is registered on my German based property management company. But this limited enterprise is registered on my name and private adress. And for all yachts and planes oft he family, the German VAT was fully payed.

You may call that stupid but I like to live with the rule "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's". I have always made very good experiences with that type of business.

The other problem is the flag state. Germany for example does not recognize yachts above 24 meters (CE classification) in length. They are either passenger ships, cargo vessels or as the only possible trick, scientific explorer vessels. But those rules make these "ships" not look like a yacht anymore, if You want it to fly for example the German flag.

So my yachts are flying the Maltese Cross (means still EU flagged), are registered on my property management company and have only EU crew. But this allows, that for privacy reasons only the authorities have access to my personal name and private adress. Why not German crews: Also I have double crew on my yacht (means one on and one off duty) it is hard to find qualified German Yacht crews with the propper licenses for a EU flagged large yacht. My last German skipper was recruited from my commercial shipping company and his wife was my chief stew. They worked for me until they both retired. Their replacement came from Your country and my chief is from GB. I am very happy with them.

But hiding the ownership (and its nationality) with 6 or more intermediary limited offshore enterprises for political reasons and tax avoidance is a different story. There are lawyer offices for example at Georgetown, Cayman Islands that have more enterprises, ships and large properties in their files than some capital town in Europe. And the banks in those offshore countries help the ownerships to clean their "black" money for spending it officially all over the world.

It is very hard for the honest yacht owners among us to see the yacht owner moored next to You, laughing at You for paying taxes and obeying the rules. That is one of the reasons, I left Port Hercules several years ago for Mallorca and Ibiza. I could not stand the Russian Oligarchs moored next to us anymore. But I admit also for their behaviour!

The international restrictions against these people and the seizure of their yachts has cleared some harbours in the Med nicely. The big boys from Russia have gone to the far east, Turkey and Montenegro. I hope we will see a lot less wild parties in the bars and restaurants of the hotspots in the Med this summer. I will definately not miss them.

Just my 2 (Euro) cents

HTMO9
  11. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

Hi. I wasn't away for a while.

I wasn't talking about tax avoidance or other illegal things, but legal tax optimisation.

Being Italian, I'm sick and tired of crazy taxes. We pay about 60-64% in taxes and some are nonsense.
    I used to pay a tax for the rain that hit my house (I'm not joking). Another absurd one is if you are a tenant and own (or inherit) a house, even a little, derelict one, in a city where you don't live. That house (the only one you own) is considered a 'second house', and so...a luxury good.

So because I think the tax system is sometimes unfair and illogical, I'm in favour of tax optimisation. That fascinates me, and I think people should be taught about it.
    It's legal, fair, and a way to take care of your kids, grandchildren etc.
    For example...if you own a boat (a big one) or a mansion...you bought them, and you have been paying your taxes every year because of them. Why on earth do the heirs have to pay taxes to come into possession of them? They are property of yours...like your sunglasses, shoes, and handbags, and the heirs don't have to pay to have them.

So, I find the use of companies or financial things (family trust or whatever) useful to 'correct' the greed of lawmakers.
    I hope I made my point.

Oh...I forgot a thing...you know, in Italy, we have a huge problem. For safety reasons, If you are rich, it's better not to have anything registered in your name. Some 'people' could come to visit you or your relatives. :confused::mad:

Marti
  12. volfkan

volfkan Active Member

Cap Ferrat at sunset time
    Maritna_ra likes this.
  13. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

I'd love to see the interior and the layout.
  14. volfkan

volfkan Active Member

1.jpg
  15. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

16. volfkan

volfkan Active Member

ULYSSES because my company this yacht work and orginal documans i have.
    1.jpg
    Kevin likes this.
  17. Urbsey

Urbsey Member

A lot of things are off here. You first posted one version, then posted the 2nd picture, which is another version (not the same as the 1st picture, see the Van Dutches). But still, even the 2nd version is few details off from the as-is version it exists. I can see it from the main deck that the interior is positioned totally different, pool deck has some different things behind the pool,...
    Can you check on your paper version GA that we are talking about the Ulysses building documents, that has LOA 116,15m?
  18. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

Andromeda was called Ulysses for a while, then she had the name changed after the delivery of Ulysses.
    If you read the length on your document, it says 107.4m, while Ulysses is 116m.
    If you look closer, the forward glazed lounge is missing as well as 2 guest rooms under it. You can count only 2 guest rooms, while Ulysses has 4 (apparently).
    Another thing, in these deck plans, there is a big alfresco area under the helipad, which you can't find on Ulysses because her master bedroom occupies almost entirely this area.
    So these are the deck plans of Andromeda when was called Ulysses.
    I have the original plans too, but I'm not able to upload them here because the file is 5.6MB.
  19. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

Pinstripe likes this.
  20. Urbsey

Urbsey Member

https://www.fraseryachts.com/en/yacht/andromeda/
    This picture is also posted at Fraser selling ad. For Andromeda.
    Also youtuber, that makes videos about the yachts, made Deck by deck look of the GA that Maritna_ra posted above, if anyone is interested. Don't know if I am allowed to post direct link to the video.

Agreed.

What do you mean by alfresco area? There is more non-covered area by helipad on Ulysses than on Andromeda on the Owners deck. Those 2 decks are also slightly different in shape. Ulysses has 2 flaps on the sides looking at aft that Andromeda doesn't have.

I also don't see any balconies on the boat deck for the VIP rooms at Andromeda. Ulysses has them, but not a great view from there IMO.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2023