Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Abeking

Kingcat M270? Info anyone?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Z0RR0, Sep 6, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 Guest

2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I donĀ“t know if there are more than one built, but it is one of the most advertised and published yachts. Developed during the late nineties by (I think) a Swiss gentleman who made a lot of efforts including setting up the construction facilities in the southwest of France.
    The yacht itself is interesting, but have not been up to expectations yet I think. At least not for the man who must have invested a fortune to see it realized.
    As usual when you do something really avantgarde, you are taking a risk that you are too early to get acceptance. In this case I also think the yacht is lacking the charisma that a yacht like the Wallypower 118 has.
    Future will tell :)
  3. TRY

TRY Senior Member

M270 Kingcat

I did a test drive on Kingcat after theCannes Boat Show in 2000 (I believe) as the then powercat editor for "Catamaran World".
    It were indeed a Swiss and two German investors who persuaded the French regtion of Charente Maritimes to give them enormous incentives to set up the yard.
    The first M270 was in fact meant to be their own yacht.

I put them in contact with Prof Hoppe of Stellenbosch University in South Africa to fit his foil system under the Kingcat, which he did.

After M270 they have now built M290 which I will see end September at the Monaco Yacht Show.

As for the test, she really goes! All fly by wire, all touch screens, 4 x 1200 HP MAN and 4 jets, impressive.
    Hyper-sophisticated equipment and electronics, a good showcase but certainly not a boat I would like to own.