Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Kenmore washer

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Barney Hauf, Aug 30, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Barney Hauf

Barney Hauf Member

Has anyone replaced the Kenmore washer on a 50’ post. Mine gave up the ghost and parts are unavailable. The current washer is 22” wide x 22” deep. My boat is a 2000. Thought I’d check before I spend a bunch of time researching. Thanks!!
  2. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Been a bit of discussion.
    Use the search button
  3. Barney Hauf

Barney Hauf Member

Thanks...Tried that before I posted the question. Did not see anything specific about washer replacement on a 50 of similar vintage.
  4. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

5. Barney Hauf

Barney Hauf Member

Thanks …. I actually used to have a 43. Sold it in March. I installed a dryer in the cabinet above the toilet. Super easy install…. Plug and play. Unfortunately it shares no similarities to the 50 so still looking for someone with experience replacing their washer on a 50.
  6. Soulstice

Soulstice Member

Let me check. The one in my 50 was replaced about 5-6 years ago and I will see if the new unit is still available.
  7. Soulstice

Soulstice Member

My washing machine unit is the Kenmore 44722 though it does not look like it is still available.
  8. Barney Hauf

Barney Hauf Member

You were lucky to get it before it was discontinued! I have been looking at the Magic Chef 2.0 Cubic foot unit. It has similar dimensions to the Kenmore (Which was 22" by 22") Just worried it may be a bit too tall. Can't find one locally to go look at so I may have to order it and hope I can make it work with some modifications.
  9. Barney Hauf

Barney Hauf Member

To close the loop in hopes that this might help someone else one day...Ended up replacing with an RCA 2.0 washer. It is the same as the Magic Chef just branded differently according to the research I did. The unit was about 2 inches too tall to fit in the space and allow the top load lid to open properly. I modified the height by removing the manufacturers plastic base and fabricating a custom base using marine plywood laminated to the correct height and epoxy coated. Once that was ready, I fastened it to the bottom of the washer. The new lower base height did not allow the drum evacuation pump to be locally mounted under the washer as it was originally. So I plumbed an outlet through the custom base and into a space under the forward starboard stateroom bed.... Extended the electrical connection and remote mounted the pump. This also allows me the ability to clean out the pump filter which would have been impossible had the pump remained beneath the washer without disassembling the cabinet that houses the washer and sliding the unit out. We washed a couple loads while at our home dock just to ensure everything worked as it should... And we are good to go!

Oh.... 1 last detail. I sent the styrofoam factory packing that stabilized the drum during shipping to a friend with a 3D printer. He is making me a part of the same dimensions out of ABS plastic to keep the drum from moving and getting damaged while the boat is underway.
    chesapeake46 likes this.
  10. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Very nice job!
  11. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

I know this is older, but just as an update, Avanti makes a unit that is a drop in replacement as well. Their 2.0 cu ft. washer is 22" and fits perfectly. Should be around $500 at the big orange box store...
  12. Barney Hauf

Barney Hauf Member

The Avanti looks identical to the RCA and Magic Chef... Likely all the same units with different brand names. Still working great!