Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Mulder

Katrion dropped by yard?

Discussion in 'Feadship Yacht' started by K1W1, May 3, 2009.

1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Has anyone heard about the Yacht Katrion being dropped out of a Travel Lift in San Diego a couple of months ago?

It evidently suffered some pretty extensive damage during the incident.
  2. hbyachtboy

hbyachtboy New Member

Katrion Dropped?

Has anyone heard anything more about this?
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

It was being hauled for some inspection work at a yard with a big lift and a strap broke when the forebody was over the sill. The stern dropped into the water, the bow slammed on the sill. The silence since is deafening.

This is second hand information from a source who was there. I did not witness it and, of course since it is a yacht, we will never know the details no matter how much it might help prevent a similar occurrence.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Thanks Marmot , What you were told by someone who was there is pretty much what I was told by someone involved in the repair bid package just a few days ago at MYS.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

The story I was told was quite a bit more colorful but given the sensitivities of this forum I really couldn't add much. It is simply amazing at how little is in the public domain concerning this event. From what I can determine the boat has been in different yard in SD since the incident in January. I guess they lost confidence in the first one ... I can't find anything regarding the filing of any lawsuits, no comments by anyone anywhere. There isa good story behind that all on its own with more lawyers involved than surveyors. It must be close to a constructive loss given the way it was dropped. Maybe this conversation will bring something out.

A movie of that thing crashing would have been the best pick of You Tube if only someone had it.
  6. TESSllc

TESSllc New Member

Katrion has been succesfully repaired with the assistance of Akerboom and Imtech. I was just onboard for minor repairs to the integrated bridge system in San Jose, Mexico. she will be in Fort Lauderdale this fall