Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Westport

Jenneau 57 foot sail boat

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by johnwi, Mar 4, 2011.

1. johnwi

johnwi New Member

I am thinking of buy a new 2011 Jenneau 57 sailboat...Can anyone give me any negatives or perspective on this boat vs other boats in its class like Beneteau.

Thank you so much!!!!
  2. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

It's snowing, and I'm 3/4 of the way into a great bottle of wine so I may ramble a bit here.....

We've got a Beneteau 57, circa 2007 and a First 45 circa 2008.

I've look at, sailed, and am pretty familiar with the Jeanneau as they come out of the same factory in France. (not exactly the same factory although J owns B, so it's an apples to apples comparison)

The B57 is set up as a cruiser / play / living type boat, and the F45 is strictly racing.

While I can't comment specifically on the ownership of a Jeanneau, I can share a bit on the Beneteau, which may be of some help:

Our experience working with Beneteau through the build, commissioning, sea trials, provisioning, and final outfitting with our specific customizations, sheets, electronics, furnishings, etc. was nothing short of outstanding. This is, once you understand the French culture (as an American) it was (for us) a reasonably painless process. We were then, and are now still quite pleased with the entire process. We've had some outstanding use of the boat and feel the price paid (which, let's not be shy, their proud of it) was worth it. These days, my Father spends more time on her than I personally do. All and all, she is an outstanding boat. Decent short handed boat, depending on how you set up your rigging and she's very accommodating for a normal crew, or a full boat on a Sunday sail with friends and family.

I don't know what hull changes (if any) have been made from the 2008 to the 2011, but I'm pretty sure (would have to look back through notes to confirm however I believe) both B and J share the same (outer) mold in the 57 line. My guess would be that J has refined their current offering based on the B57 we have, or vis versa. The inner shell is obviously going to be different based on the general arrangement of the respective boat, so those wont' match up. But I can't see this as being anything drastic.
    The hull itself, from a sailing standpoint is pretty predictable, and generally speaking, pretty forgiving in a variety of seas and conditions, which we've been in many. Nothing too aggressive anywhere on the boat (in comparison to the F45). Overall, she's a great boat. We've crossed the Atlantic on her 3X personally, and she's gone once with a delivery crew. One trip was short handed (my father, myself, and two others). That trip was a handful, but the boat performed as expected.

In the 3.5 years of having the boat, we've had no issues that would point back to workmanship, fit, finish, etc. Of course there is the handful of normal things that wear, tear and break, but nothing with regards to manufacture's quality of work, or materials. On the one or two times in need of factory or dealer support, both have been more than attentive.

Last year I attended Strictly Sail in San Francisco and spent some time on the J57 and poured through it with a 'comparing in my head' type of a view on it, and it is an equally impressive boat. Slightly more refined than the B57, and more luxury / creature comfort type stuff and the obvious difference in the general arrangement of the forward berths with the "optional divider" as it was explained to me separating the berths just forward of the salon. We have other friends both East coast and West with Jeanneau's and their experience with their boats is as ours was.

If you get down to the nuts and bolts of it, the difference you will find is the luxury effect between the two, and of course the price point. Jeanneau is obviously going to be slightly higher. That's a decision and distinction only you can make based on your own preference, and to the degree of what it's worth.

We went with Beneteau with the 57 because of price point, and preference on the specific boat we were building. With the F45, it was strictly due to the racing heritage and reputation. With regards to the F45, the only thing I don't like about it is its handicap. Otherwise, I've never had more fun arguing with my Father. (with whom I do most of my racing with).

Hopefully that is of some help. Feel free to shoot any questions or comments back and I'd be happy to share anything else I can.

Other boats in the class, or close to it are obvious in their difference in fit, finish, quality and workmanship. Go look at Hunter, J, Catalina, and others and the difference (IMO) is clear.
  3. vivariva

vivariva Senior Member

Dear Johnwi,

PropBet's experience with the Beneteau brand has been very lucky. I do not wish to go to specific details, but in short, the dealers on our side of the world are nothing to similar to his descriptions in service. The sales and after sales process are quite sub-par. I believe that Groupe Beneteau bought Jeanneau but the brands are kept separate in their marketing.

I've looked at the 57 at Dusseldorf, the luxury& comfort are there. I would suggest the Jeanneau instead of Beneteau if that is your priority. I've sailed with many Jeanneaux and Beneteaux (including racing with the First45), they perform well.

Would you consider these brands below, if your intention is to sail around the world? It might help in terms of broadening your search. A Jeanneau 57 would take you everywhere as well, they're there as to give you alternatives if possible.

X Yachts 55
    Hallberg Rassy 54
    Contest 57
    Hanse 545

What kind of sailing are you planning to do?