Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning

J Orin Edson passed away

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Ken Bracewell, Aug 29, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Our industry lost an icon this week. He was the quintessential entrepreneur, a true yachtsman, a generous philanthropist, and a good friend. He founded Bayliner Boats and Pacific Mariner, and was the visionary behind expanding Westport Yachts into the mega-yacht market.

I consider myself fortunate to have sailed so many of the worlds seas with him sitting less than 5' away from the helm for most of those miles. The stories and wisdom that he shared with me will never be forgotten.

Fair Winds and Following Seas, boss.

https://www.****************/trawler-news/orin-edson-bayliner-obituary
  2. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

His success story from humble beginnings, hard work and ingenuity are the epitome of the American dream. Hearing so many back stories from my industry friends about his vision and influence, all great stuff and he really shaped the boat building industry.

God speed :)
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I consider myself fortunate to have known him in any way. I can only imagine the experiences you had with him. His impact on the boat world with his development of Bayliner was immense. He's responsible for so many getting into boating who otherwise couldn't have done so, both Bayliner customers and others who had to respond. He never accepted the conventional wisdom but found a better way. His relationships were the type on which you build success, from Bill Garden to Daryl Wakefield to Gary Chouest. I am proud to have owned two of his boats. His final present to us all was finding a purchaser for Westport who could continue what he'd built there. He was truly a genius and it showed in his business acumen but also in his boat vision. It took very little time talking to him to know you were in the presence of someone with such tremendous knowledge and ability but also such a good, honorable, decent and caring person.

If anyone ever wants to know how to run a boat manufacturing operation, it's simple. Just do it like Orin Edson did.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

During the mid 80s, Lowndes County GA was still dry. We met at the new Valdosta, Bayliner plant.
    I was the DEC rep at the time.
    Bless him,,, we had similar taste and provisions.

Rest well my friend. Soon we will be dancing together in the stars.
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The English translation of Evviva means 'hurray', or an applause. In the same manner, Orin's life should be celebrated. Not many people chart their own destiny. Orin commanded his life.

It speaks volumes that he chose Kenny to command his ships.