Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning

Italian yachts

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Jack Sparrow, Jul 11, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow New Member

Hello,

I concider to buy an Italian yacht but cannot find some of manufacturers on forum like VZ, Rafaelli, Ars monaco, Carnevali. I am very open for any suggestions about those manufacturers and others - mostly Italian.

Regards
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

So you're dismissing Ferretti, Pershing, Riva, Itama, Mochi, Benetti, Azimut, Sanlorenzo, Monte Carlo, etc. from your consideration? You're looking for something from a small yard? I guess you haven't mentioned really what you're looking for in a yacht in either of your posts, other than it being Italian.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Well, 4 post asking near the same thing.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If a manufacturer hasn't even been mentioned here that says something. There are and have been a ton of small or limited boat builders, with more coming into business and going out of business every day. Make sure you're dealing with one that builds something special rather than one who'll be out of business in a year. Otherwise go with a brand others are familiar with or you could become your boat's first and last owner.
  5. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow New Member

No I don't dismiss Ferretti, Pershing aetc but those I have mentioned were not mentioned in forum. About a yacht i want no less than 50 ft no more than 60-62 ( I know it is huge difference) no older than 10 years, preffer FLY. Which yachts got best opinion and which I should be awere ?
  6. olderboater

What kind of performance are you seeking? Range?
  7. Liam

Liam Senior Member

In reality most of the above builders have been around for a lot of time.

Carnevali since 1992 and still open, mostly doing maintenance works.
    Raffaelli since the seventies, he founded Mochi (the original one) in the sixties. Closed between 2011 and 2013 now fully open and building boats.
    VZ founded in the seventies. Nuvolari Lenard famous for super yacht got a kick start from this builder with the much acclaimed design of the 18 model.
    Ars Mare is another company founded in the seventies was sold to Monaco Marine in 2002, and they have not done much about it since then.
  8. Liam

Liam Senior Member

I am sorry to say this but if you see my reply above, the knowledge of Italian boat builders here is a bit limited to the international brands or those building larger sizes.

I think in between the sizes you mention I would go between a VZ, Raffaelli, and Ferretti. With a preference for the first, feel free to PM me if you want to know more.
  9. FeBo

FeBo New Member

There are also:

Della Pasqua
    Dalla Pietà
    Aicon
    Abati
    Cantiere Navale di Arno
    Alalunga
    Cantieri di Sarnico (Rizzardi, Posillipo ecc.)
    Amer
    Innovazioni e Progetti
    Uniesse
    Baia
    Abacus
    Gianetti

And many others
  10. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow New Member

I have seen last days few yachts and as you have mentioned VZ and Ferretti mostly are in my interest. Even had an oportunity to have one day cruise with a VZ and I have to say it looks really nice inside and outside but most important it was a pleasure to cruise it. At the moment I'm looking for some offers of VZ and have found not so bad offer of it. Does anyone know something about motor yachts sale ? they have an offer of VZ 16

It looks really nice, it is little bit older then I wanted but according to description it is in good shape and condition. What I should mostly take care of when watching/buying a yacht?

Regards
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

They all look good in pictures, and they all sound good. It's called "puffing". Look the boat over with a knowldgable boater by your side who won't be swayed by the beauty but instead will look for telltales that indicate reasons NOT to buy, sea trial, and survey the boat AND the motors.
  12. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow New Member

For sure it works with everything same way like cars, motors or yachts. If you don't check it by yourself you would mostly buy not what you expect. So you advice me to check it with surveyor and mechanic by my side. According to you just looking at the ad does it look interesting to you ? I mean VZ 16 offer.

Regards
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sorry, but I'm not familiar enough with the brand to give a good opinion, plus I'm jaded. I'd never buy a boat. lol.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Italian yachts are much like Italian cars. Look beautiful but spend half of their time getting fixed. I knew an owner that had 2 identical Ferrari's, so he had one to drive while the other was getting fixed.
  15. olderboater

I don't agree with that universal statement on Italian boats. I think like any other country there are good and bad. We have two Italian boats and have had no problems with either. Now, we do think they're from the top Italian factory when it comes to quality.

A bit ironic that in the US, the boat that brings the most negative talk regarding Italian boats is an Italian brand of which the US boats are built in Brazil.
  16. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Lol Captain J now that you speak of it, I used to run a Ferretti 53 for a few seasons, and the only thing that stopped us from cruising it was when the heat exchanger of the Cat engine broke.

Never had a problem in any other part of the boat, from the Besenzoni Passarelle, to the German Kohler Generator, and the Navionics GeoNav GPS.
    I actually crossed the central med sea in Force 5 Westerly 3 meter waves head cross sea and the other boats along the trip had a couple of breaking issues while I interesting got nothing.

It is interesting may be I am lucky man when it comes to Italian yachts (touch wood for this) and unlucky with Cat engines (need a few of your spells). You never know!

I do not know that broker personally, if you are buying in Italy I can help out, I know a few guys.
    As in any used boat after your viewing and acceptance (signing of MoA) a thorough hull and mechanical survey should work out.
    Last thing do not be afraid of age. It is always better an old boat with good maintenance then an abandoned new boat of just one year old.
    For a VZ 16 with Cat engines whether it is 3196 or the more evolved C12 you will have to watch if the HE problems (see above) has been fixed sorted out. If not be wary.
    For the MAN engines (most VZ have MANs) they the model previous to R6 which is a good engine if used in temperature and given its time.

Some boats do actually show there quality with age unlike some others. For me VZ is one of those if she is properly maintained.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah but how long have they been built in Brazil? Not that long comparitively speaking. Most of the Italian parts used in Italian yacht building are sub-standard in quality. Galvanized dry wall screws for the interiors, Euro trash electical components, Interior fabrics that should never be installed in a humid marine environment, the red handled seacocks that don't full close half of the time and have mild steel handles that always rust, and on and on. There are a very few exceptions to this, but not many.

As for the Feretti, how did all of the mild steel steering gear in the wet lazzarette hold up? Or the undersized a/c chillers that never keep temperature down inside the boat when it's 90F outside and sunny?
  18. olderboater

Well, so far with Riva we've encountered none of the issues you mention. Should I label all UK builders based on Princess or Sealine? Should I label all US builders based on Marquis? Or Northern? Or Bertram?

I don't profess to know all Italian brands and their quality. But I do know several I consider good and many I would consider bad.
  19. FeBo

FeBo New Member

About Italian shipyards...

I have visited the Cranchi shipyard several times, and it's truly impressive in its technology.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I just ran a brand new one. A 54' Hardtop, I was very un-impressed with it's quality. It was delivered with no bed spreads, no sheets no nothing, just bare mattresses and cheap ones at that. It also had no tv's and no a/v equipment in the boat whatsoever. The ride was ok. The quality was ok, but nothing to write home about. New teak decks were thin, a/c chiller system couldn't keep the salon below 87F when it was 93F outside. Condaria tech came out and all the ductwork was way too long and looped in circles laying in area's and not attached to anything greatly reducing airflow. One of the a/c fan coils was mounted in the foward bilge and pulling air out of the bilge 5' in front of the holding tank and blowing it into the fwd VIP stateroom, they had a return grate on the stateroom floor going directly into the bilge. Accessing pumps,sumps, and whatnot inside the boat was not good.