Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport

Island Packet 485..?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Tom Leitch, Dec 14, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Tom Leitch

Tom Leitch New Member

Hey Guys,
    I'm not an IP owner, but I'm considering a IP 485. I have a question. I've been told that the first 10 or 12 IP 485 hulls are shorter in the bow by about 9" causing them to ride low and possible creating a water intrusion problems. Does anyone if this is true and a real problem.
    Thanks Tom
  2. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I have sailed the IP 485 No 2 or 3 many years ago on the Zuiderzee out of Lelystaad in the Netherlands in moderate wind. I was not impressed by its performance and its handling characteristics. But its technical instalations and layout made me shake my had. For example, the grey water from the forward bathrom was running free without any tubing under the floorboards in the salon to the bilge in front of the Yanmar engine.

Far to much money for this plastic bath tube. But I have no knowledge about newer models.

Just my 2 (Euro) cents

HTMO9
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I sent your question to a friend who has a 31' Island Packet and this was his reply:

"I have an island packet 31 and they all have a great deal of free board, with more in the bow. I follow the owner blogs and forums. And have never heard of such. I have crossed the gulf stream in 16 ft seas without a drop on the deck. I'm sure some fool could manage it. But I don't see how."
  4. Tom Leitch

Tom Leitch New Member

Thanks