Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights

Is YachtForums for motoryachts ONLY?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CaptainDav!d, Nov 14, 2003.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptainDav!d

CaptainDav!d New Member

Every message I've seen so far is related to MOTOR yachts. Is there any room here for those of us who prefer the quiet slowness of a ragboat? :confused:
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hi Captain Dav!d,

There's always a slip available at YachtForums for a Blow-Boat. Motoryacht owners appreciate the fact that you have to "work so hard, to go so slow"! :)

I haven't looked around the net much, but I believe there are several sites dedicated to Sheet-Ships, one that comes to mind is "SailNet".

Sailboats *ARE* yachts and this site *IS* a yachting forum, therefore we welcome you onboard! It is understood by all that sailing requires skill and is an artform unto itself, but I would be lost at sea without the smell of diesel fumes. :D
  3. wmahaffy

wmahaffy New Member

Is there any consideration for adding another caregory that specifically deals with sailboats? I used to write for SailNet and I can honestly tell you that the issues on a big Perini or Alloy would be WAY over the heads of the Pearson27 owner.

Bill
  4. ucinga

ucinga New Member

William Garden Motor Sailor

Yes, it seems that motor's are the subject of this forum.....But! as puff (the magic dragon) seems to feel we all need wind to get our "jollies" in the sailing community prehaps he would consider us! the owners of motor sailors who! can switch on or off, raise and lower sail on demand.
    We travel the world at a non bank breaking rate.......smile when racing yachts scream past us.......laugh when motor yachts gurgle past......and continue knowing we......the motor sailor can do both.....silent running.......wind free motoring......and best of all in a boat....nay....yacht....well motor sailor designed for purpose.

So to both the smug.....and the glug......happy sailing...
  5. jediwhite

jediwhite Senior Member

Why do you think Blow is Slow

There are people out here who work/play on sail
    There are also many sailing yachts out there that will go a lot faster than most 'stinkies'. It all depends on how far you want to go!!, look at Ellen and B&Q, Mari Cha IV, all the Oryx quest yachts etc.
    I've engineered on both MY and SY and its the passion for yachts that counts, not how fast or how much fuel you burn!!!!!
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

OK... I take back everything I ever said about sailboats being slow. Here's one that dispels the notion...

This 60-foot cat, "Médiatis Région Aquitaine" was built to compete against trimarans. The cat, which has a single wishbone rig on each hull, has hit as much as 39 knots and averaged 30 knots for seven hours.

Attached Files:

7. Remy

Remy New Member

Let's don't mix up everything in our minds.

A sailing boat capable of achieving 30+ knots is a racing machine, let's compare it to a racing offshore then: 100+++ knots :cool:

Some huge sailing yachts (such as Mirabella IV) can easily sail at 20 knots in all sea conditions, but once again, those yachts are exceptions.

Good common sailing boats make 10-11 knots, which is slow, compared to any motorboats.
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

That's relative... WallyPower (arguably a very fast motoryacht) only does 9 knots at optimal speed for going a distance, and even then can only go about 1500nm. A sailing yacht doing 10-12 knots can go as far as could be imagined. ;)
  9. jediwhite

jediwhite Senior Member

Fast motorboats

A racing offshore motoryacht will have a very limited range, you have to compare like with like. If you use range as the comparator then motor yachts are as slow as sail yachts, possibly slower. Ok at the shortest range then some speed boats are very fast, but thats a small minority. most motor yachts are displacement and then there is no speed advantage at all, your speed is relative to waterline length not method of propulsion.
  10. Remy

Remy New Member

20-30m motoryachts are capable of 30+ knots. 20-30m sailing yachts are not.

A 30m motoryacht is capable of 25-30 knots. A 30m sailing yacht is not.

A 40m motoryacht is capable of 15-20 knots. A 40m sailing yacht may be, but how many 40m sailing yachts are there in the world, compared to 40m motoryachts ??? Those big sailing yachts are exceptions.

Okay, all sailing yachts have virtual unlimited range.
    Well, first, this is wrong, they are fresh water limited (all sailing yachts are not fitted with fresh water converter), and food limited.
    And then, unlimited range is just pointless. Once you've crossed the Atlantic, don't you want to go home ?
  11. jediwhite

jediwhite Senior Member

Be careful

You have to be careful when you say 20-30m motoryacht can do 30+ kts, some can but many cannot, I've worked on 70m+ motoryachts that only do 15Kts and still burn 1000ltrs per hr.
    My previous comment was comparing range. A friend is just taking a 23m motoryacht from Turkey to France and not only is their range only 400 Nm but it will cost them over 30,000 euro in fuel. Wonderful to cruise at 25Kts!!!!!!
    Each has its own pro's and con's and some people prefer one or the other.

Me, I love them all, the thrill of sail, the wonder of power and the awesome presence of the sea!!!
  12. Remy

Remy New Member

Definitely !

After all, both have a hull floating on the sea, no matters how they are powered. ;)