Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Walker

is the new 64' a new hull?

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by 54' Bertram, Oct 5, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 54' Bertram

54' Bertram Member

or is it a longer 63' hull? be interesting to see it at the show. I wish they would bring back a 60' model. seems it would fill the gap between 54' and now 64'
  2. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

It's simply the 63 stretched one foot. Unfortunately for those of us Napier designed Bertram die hards, the folks in charge at Bertram/Ferretti in their infinite wisdom have crushed and disposed of all the original 54, 60 and the later 57' tooling.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Getting rid of the 57' molds is probably the best thing Bertram has done in recent years. It was the wettest POS I've ever run. Something along the lines of a semi-submersible submarine.
  4. Liam

Liam Senior Member

According to the Bertram facebook page they are still building the 570, and recently they delivere one, with another currently in costruction.
    The 570 still seems to be popular and is based on the classic 54 hull lines, with some minor modifications and renewed weight distribution to make the hull ride more level.
    Yes this has made it become a wet ride especially when full on fuel!
    The old 630 AFAIK is a further evolution of the Bertram 60 hull, so the Napier hull is the an evoluton of the current Bertram designs.
    That is accept the new 540, 410, and 800. Which aparently are total new hull shaped done by Ferretti Group.
    Ferretti do some time out sourse IMO a very valid hull design in Brunello Acampora of Victory from Naples (who designs the Mochi Dolphins) which is considered along with your Michael Peters the best of the current planning hull designers.
    AFAIK he did not do any Bertrams altough he does a lot of consultancy for the Ferretti Group.
    Hull two of the 640 is currently under construction and should be finished in early first quater 2012.
  5. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Liam, the 630 has absolutely nothing to do with the old 60.
  6. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Hello Shazam
    According to the Power and Motoryacht article the 630 hull is a further development of the 60. That being said it means that all the forward part is the same, or very similar with modifications carried to the stern.
    Here having more medium Vee deadrise aft from 17 (60) to 14.5 (630) and tunnel pockets for the propellers.
    Would be good to see a picture of both fore part of the hulls side by side and compare them, to see if the claim is true.
  7. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Liam, is your entire knowledge of these yachts based on information that you've gleaned from magazines, websites and press releases? Trust me, my knowledge of these things goes much farther than that, I've designed them, built plugs, molds, prototypes and production boats. I've employed the same people that designed and built the original 54 and 60 Bertram as well as people from the prototype shop at Bertram when the 630 was being put together. I'll state it once again the only similarity between the 630/640 and the previous 60 is that they're both pointy on one end and rather square on the other end, otherwise they're completely different bottoms, different entry, different butt lines, different bow, different keel, etc.